Refilling pool next week. Need advice

Mar 8, 2013
Sayville, NY
I have placed an order for the t100 test kit but I am trying to figure out what to do beforehand. We are filling the pool next week. It is a 16x 34 IG pool. The previous owner left 40 lbs of chlorine tablets behind and i would like to use some of them. I was thinking of adding them in the beginning to help get my cya levels up to about 30 and then start the BBB method. Is that going to be helpful or should I manually dissolve pool conditioner to add the cya and toss the tablets? Everyone says tablets add cya, but I have never seen a mention of how much. If i add say 10-20 tablets over a 2 week period (keeping fc in check) will my cya be 20 or 200? I am more or less looking for some guidelines on about how much to add.

I am also going to have to use tablets in my chlorine feeder sporadically through the summer, I am also trying to figure out how much that is going to be raising my cya levels and if i am going to be sol?

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

The Pool Calculator (at the bottom of the worksheet) will give you the effect on your pool of different things you add, including the pucks. Give it a try.

Once your TF-100 gets in, test your fill water and tell us the results. It will give you some practice testing and will also tell you if anything needs to be adjusted.

Select "trichlor" at the bottom of the poolcalculator. Enter the weight of a puck (6-8 oz) and if you have set your pool volume correct at the top, you will see the effect of each puck.

No real problem with what you are suggesting besides the fact that the CYA will be slow to come up and in that time much of your FC will be lost to the sun.

Just got a call that they are installing the liner tomorrow and I still don't have my test kit though it is in transit. Hopefully it will get here before I finish filling it so I can start on the right track.

Seems like I need to dissolve about 30 tablets to get the cya into the 30s. I have a feeling that will happen in the first couple of weeks as the chlorine will be evaporating much quicker with no cya. Also I havemt received my solar cover yet so it will be moving off that much faster.

D_Nyholm said:
Just got a call that they are installing the liner tomorrow and I still don't have my test kit though it is in transit. Hopefully it will get here before I finish filling it so I can start on the right track.

Seems like I need to dissolve about 30 tablets to get the cya into the 30s. I have a feeling that will happen in the first couple of weeks as the chlorine will be evaporating much quicker with no cya. Also I havemt received my solar cover yet so it will be moving off that much faster.
You might want to add 20-30 CYA initially and let the pucks bring up the rest. 30 pucks will take a couple weeks to dissolve. Trichlor is very acidic, so watch the pH. Also, don't just dump a pile of pucks in the skimmer, nor let them rest on the surface of the pool.

Pucks last a long time if they're kept dry, so don't worry about using them up. They're great for vacations.

Like Richard320 suggests, don't use tabs to bring up your CYA. rather, buy enough CYA separately to get to 20-30 and then, if you want to use tabs to bring CYA up further, watch your pH carefully

Ok ok :) I bought enough stabilizer to get me up to about 20 CYA. Then as I use up some of the pucks in the first few weeks, I should be hitting right around 30 and I intend to try to keep it around that level. I assume by the end of the summer I will be closer to 50 but as long as I stay in that range I will be happy.

I can't wait to play with my new chemistry experiment. Trying to maintain levels and adjusting as needed. It sounds like it is going to be fun, I just hope it does not turn out to be any work!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suggest getting a small notebook and keeping track of things that you calculate. For example, I know that in my pool 7 tablets will give me about 10 ppm of CYA. And a jug of 10% (1 gallon) or a jug of 6% (182 oz) each add 4 ppm of FC to the pool. If I assume that I lose 2 ppm of FC a day, then I pretty much know how much chlorine to add. By my testing, I know that I do not lose an even 2 ppm of FC a day. It is way, way less in the winter and a bit over that in the summer depending on the CYA and weather and leaf litter and so on.

Another question. I just started filling my pool tonight and expect it to take about 2 days. Is it worthwhile to put a chlorine floater in there as it fills or just a waste of my time. I bet the water is about 50 degrees, so I assume algae won't form, but I was thinking it might allow me to get a little more chlorine in there as it takes a little while to dissolve the pucks.

I could also go out and pick up some bottles of chlorine, I am just really busy tomorrow and would hate to fall behind.

The liner is in but they have not cut the holes out for the returns and intakes so even if it fills high enough, I won't be able to turn the filter on.

The liquid would need to be circulated, so the floater might be a little safer. Keep track of hour many you use so that you know how much CYA you have added.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I would not be surprised if the FC did not register at all with only the 2 pucks slowly dissolving in a new fill pool with no CYA.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.