New homeowner and pool newbie...whats the best pool vac buy?

Mar 21, 2013
Hey guys....Never had a pool before and just learning about chemicals but vacuuming pool manually sucks! I was thinking the G3 baracuda or pool cleaner brand. I have a medium sized kidney shaped pool that definitely needs some cleaning. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Rudy

Re: New homeowner and pool newbie...whats the best pool vac

Welcome to tfp, Rudy :wave:

I can't help you on the choice (I have a agp that I happily manual vacuum). You could try the google search at the lower left of the page.

Welcome,

To try to answer your question, there is no one right answer because every pool is different, the cleaner that might work great in one pool where dirt is the problem may get stuck with nuts in its wheels / tracks if there is a pecan tree nearby. I will also assume from your question that you are mostly looking at suction side cleaners at this point, I owned several of them over the years, before switching to a robotic cleaner a couple of years ago. In general I found the suction side cleaners all worked to some degree, some worked better than others, but adding more dollars did not improve their ability to clean. I have owned $300 models which would get stuck between my ladder and the pool corner consistently, and $70 ones that would never get hung up. More money may not buy you better cleaning power, but what it does generally buy you is higher quality parts and often quieter operation, the second may or may not be a factor for you depending on where your pool is located, the older / cheaper designed use a mechanical valve that makes a clack,clack,clack sound while operating, this could get annoying if your pool is located outside your bedroom window, or if you plan to relax around the pool while it runs. On the other point about quality, this tends to go through the whole unit, hose, etc. while the $70 unit mentioned about bought at Lowes cleaned great, it did start falling apart within about a week (snap together weight fell apart, fixed by adding a screw and nut through existing center hole), within 2-3 months other plastic snap together hose sections became so loose it would fall apart lifting it out of the pool, after a year or so I gave up on patching it back together, by comparison I still have the high quality one piece hose off my long dead Kreepy Krauly which itself lasted for several years. .

Ike

tks for input guys....side suction I assume is the type of vac that you plug in to skimmer? Right now robotic ones seem pretty cool but too pricey for me right now...I just want a vac with the best value for my $$$ , also not spend a ton on maintenance.

Rudy

I just order a Polaris 360 pressure side with out booster pump. just because I don't like to fill up the suction hose every time I attached it to the suction port (skimmer).

I will be able to tell if it is good (or bad) when I have it.

I am also a new pool owner (bought a house with a pool - my first pool ever) and came to the same conclusion you did - don't want to spend my weekend manually vacuuming. I bought a Hayward Navigator Pro suction model and have had it for about 2 months. It works great. I have no ladders or 90 degree corners in my pool and the bottom of the pool is very smooth - no sharp angels between bottom and the edges. I cannot say how the unit would perform in a pool with sharp angles or other obstacles, but in my pool it works great. You still need to brush the sides and bottom about once per week, but that takes 15 minutes. I'm no expert, but the unit works well for me. I got a manufacturer rebate of $50 off plus a free small leaf canister. The leaf canister is of little value but that was the best deal I could find. Cost me about $300 all in. Pricey but if you value your time it is not a bad investment.

I'm a new pool owner as well but I found that initially manual vacuuming was a pain, but then I slowed down and found it relaxing. I might change my mind later but before I closed it for the winter I actually enjoyed doing it.

I ended up buying "the pool cleaner" several pool contractors have told me this is the best one on the market. It's been a about two weeks and I enjoy it so far. It also doesn't look like it has a ton of parts, so I guess if something goes wrong not too many things to buy to maintain.

I just got Polaris 360 today, and I can't pass the pressure test, the pressure test kit is included in the box. Anyway I have it a try, it walk and vac across the pool and stuck in the corner for a while, back off and continue to vac in other direction. It never climb a wall, might be because my pump is not have enough pressure. So I think it is a good product if you have a proper size pump (it said 1HP in the manual, but I think 0.75 should be enough).

Just updating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.