Levelling a Pool that is already installed

Mar 21, 2013
Hi,

Last year, I installed an 18 foot round above ground pool in my backyard, complete with a new deck and everything. We tamped the ground, sand, and limestone as we should, levelled it all and thought we were on track. Once built and filled, however, it was slightly lower on one side (about 3-6 inches) than the other. However, it was filled and we used it anyway. Now that we have it drained for the winter, I would like some input from the "TFP-verse" regarding how I could level it this spring before I filled it.

I would like to avoid tearing it down and rebuilding it from the ground up if at all possible as it was a brand new pool when we put it in last year.

Any and all help, input, advice and criticisms will be helpful. I look forward to your help.

Thanks,
King Stanley

Is it a hard sided pool?

There's really no way to level the site correctly level the site with the pool still in place. You at least need to move it from the site.

3 to 6" is really too much to leave. It really needs to be within an inch.
Is the deck on the high or low side?

Yea thats way too much out of level. I might even go as far to say it might not be safe. I can't for see any way of fixing it without taking it down. What did you use to compact the fill ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bottom line is that it has to be fixed, your in danger of a pool failure and that can be dangerous to people's lives or peoples property, if you have kids around the pool think what 8 or 9 thousand gallons of water coming at them will do.

Depending on what type of pool you have, hard wall or soft wall, something was not done right. The pool may be off level or perhaps one of your posts sank. If you provide more info people can help you trouble shoot.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your input - to help and because someone asked, here is the link to the pool that I bought and installed: http://www.poolsuppliescanada.ca/evolut ... ckage.html

To answer the other questions:

- The deck is on the high side of the pool
- we dug out and leveled (supposedly) the ground and used 3" of limestone and then 3 - 4" inches of brick sand for the base
- each of the uprights/posts are secured to large round patio stones
- we tamped it all with a gas-powered, walk behind tamper

Any other advice and/or recommendations from a good "pool guy" or company in the Greater Toronto/Oshawa/Whitby area who could fix this for a reasonable cost? Based on everyone's experience, how much would a full repair like this cost?

Thanks,
King Stanley

This package came with every

Welcome to tfp, King Stanley :wave:

That's a bummer :cry:

As others have said 3-6 inches (which is it?) is way too much.

It sounds like it was this way from the beginning? If so then you ground was likely compacted so now you will just need to dig out the high side.

Was this a diy build? If so, and now that you know the problem, could you fix it yourself? If you do, it is likely you can save your liner since it isn't very old, but you will want to keep it wet. One way to do this is to put it in a smaller portable pool while you do the leveling work.

Agreed that if you put it up yourself then you can fix it yourself and save some $, all that's really needed (by the sounds of it) is drain it, take it down, scrape the pool bottom to the side, re-level, re-do the bottom and then put it back up. Although not to trivialize the amount of work.
It sounds like the site wasn't leveled. Can you explain how you leveled the site? Then we can help you fix it.

If the liner is only 1 year old it may still be salvageable, from what I've read here I believe the standard view is that a liner 1 year old can still be taken down and then re-used.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You might try what some of the Intex owners have done which is jack up the low side and add pavers under the post. Yours would need pavers under the rails as well. Since the Intexs have a top rail that people can jack against you can't do that but you might be able to put a lever under the post base and lift it enough to get a paver under it and the rails. I suspect though the wall would try to come out of the bottom rail.

Any way you go about it you got a lot of work ahead. :(

Personally I'd avoid the jacking, especially if it's 3-6" out.
An Intex pool is soft side and has some give to it, a hard walled pool won't. I personally could envision alot of damage trying to jack it.
It sounds like the pool isn't level.

Definitely take it down! 3 inches is too much... 6 inches is extreme! :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.