Which pump should I go with?

Mar 20, 2013
I have a simple straight forward pool. 19,000 gallons with no frills and a Navigator with a dedicated line. I currently have a 1 HP pump on it and am thinking about going to a 2-speed pump. I don't think a VS pump would really do me any good. My question is will a 2-speed, 3/4 HP motor work ok? From what I have read online so far and looking at the pump curves, it looks like a 3/4 HP would work fine. I would run the pump on low for 15-18 hours and on high for 2-3 hours for the pool cleaner. Any thoughts would would be appreciated.

Welcome to tfp, desertgecko :wave:

Are you running solar heating panels now, or do you plan to?

Another possible need for more flow would be if you backwash a very large sand filter. What do you have for a filter now?

Assuming your answer is "no" to the above, and you have no features (spa jets, waterfalls, etc.) that need high flow, you should be fine with a 3/4.

Also, is your feed 115 or 230 volts? If 230, I am only aware of 2-speed pumps at 1 h.p. full rated and up.

Welcome to TFP!!!

Add you pool equipment and details to you signature and we will be better able to help.

linen asks a good question about your supply voltage.

All 3/4 HP pumps are not the same ... so just looking at that number is not adequate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.