AG pool left all year with no water in it...what'll happen?

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
My brother and his new wife just moved into her brothers old house(he divorced and they moved out). So when my brother and her got married, her dad gave them the house. Her brother left their AG pool in the back yard. its been sitting uncovered, and unused for a little over a year. There is some water in it..but only about 6", maybe little more. Its all green muck and yucky. She wants us to help her clean it out and scrub it down and refill it. There are no holes that we see or rips. My brother said the filter pump started up when he cleaned it out and plugged it in to see if it had power. So...is it safe for a vinyl liner to a round AG pool(its a metal frame pool...12x24 I think) to sit like that for a year, drain it completely, scrub it down and refill it?

It's already drained, so you really can't hurt it. Unless someone drained it, there just about has to be a leak. I'd be concerned if it's in an area that freezes that the pool wasn't winterized and the pump or filter suffered freeze damage. Liner replacement isn't a huge deal, nor is the filter/pump. As long as the walls are still plumb and the pool is round, you should be okay.

I would predict the liner is dried out, I wouldn't even attempt to clean it and then refill at the risk of wasting all the water. Go get a new liner, smooth out the bottom sand, it will be like having a new pool. I would replace all seals with new (skimmer/return).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.