Potassium Peroxymonosulfate for clearing up pool water?

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
I just came across a product at Lowes called "Angry Egg". It was an egg shaped plastic container with large slots that contained what looked like white compressed crystals. The label said it contained Potassium Peroxymonosulfate. It is to be used for clearing up pool water and claims it will clear up a cloudy pool in 12 - 24 hours. I just found an ad on-line here: http://adobe-online-coupons.com/2013/02 ... l-cleaner/ . What do you think, is it any good or is it more snake oil?

I saw those too...cute, catchy, and nearly always ineffective. MPS works by oxidizing organics...but it's not a sanitizer, so won't kill algae. If you have a bunch of gunk like sweat oils, pee, etc that is clouding up the pool, it could help, but the sun provides enough UV that for an outdoor pool you don't usually have that kind of buildup. An indoor pool sometimes needs a bit of oxidizing help, but I bet just buying MPS is cheaper than one of those eggs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.