Difference between Intex SWG's

Feb 25, 2012
My intex SWG (model 54601EG) is showing low salt level. My salt level is good so I am sure its the SWG. I was looking at them online and noticed the model 54605EG. It is setup different than my model. My pool is an 18'x54' intex metal frame. Anyone have experience with the newer model 54605EG or now the main differences between the two models? I do know the newer model says its good for pool up to 7000gal and intex only shows this unit on there web site. Thanks.

You know I didn't even think of that. This is the first time I left my pool up through the winter and yesterday I uncovered it and hooked everything up. I plugged the inlet with a rubber plug and had to stick my hand in the water to get it out. Thats when I put the thermometer in to check the temp. I could have swore that water was 32 degrees or at least it sure felt like it.LOL. I wish there was a way to check it before the SWG's prices go up.

Mine gives funky salt readings too (can't remember if it says too low or too high) when I get a bit of build up on the cell. I just take the plastic tube that has the cell in it off and cover one end, fill it with vinegar and cover the other end. That has fixed it for me the last two or three times it happened to me...

I cleaned it when i stored it and also went ahead and cleaned it after it did the low salt alarm. I do the same thing by covering up one end but i use diluted muriatic acid and leave the other end open looking up. I plugged both ends once and it almost exploded due to the chemical reaction with the calcium (I am just guessing on why it built pressure since as soon as the mixture hits the calcium it starts fizzing quickly). So I leave the one end open so no pressure builds up and in less than 10 minutes its clean.

Hbah923 said:
Anyone have experience with the newer model 54605EG or now the main differences between the two models? I do know the newer model says its good for pool up to 7000gal and intex only shows this unit on there web site.
I have no experience with the newer model, but the 54601 model claimed that it worked on pools up to 14364 gallons. I have also seen 5 grams/hour of chlorine output listed on a sellers website for the 54605. The 54601 was speced at 12 grams/hr.

Hbah923 said:
I cleaned it when i stored it and also went ahead and cleaned it after it did the low salt alarm. I do the same thing by covering up one end but i use diluted muriatic acid and leave the other end open looking up. I plugged both ends once and it almost exploded due to the chemical reaction with the calcium (I am just guessing on why it built pressure since as soon as the mixture hits the calcium it starts fizzing quickly). So I leave the one end open so no pressure builds up and in less than 10 minutes its clean.
You can also cover both ends then remove the copper stage and pour the vinegar in there and leave it vented.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.