LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
May be a far out idea but figured I would ask if anyone has done it or knows of the possibilities on doing it ? I have to replace my liner most likely by next season and was planning on doing a tract system at the water line where 2 rows of tile would sit and then the liner 6-8" below the water line (helps with liner sun wear) , anyhow, thats looking at 5-6K to have done and was curious if modifying my pool into a pebble tech type pool and eliminating the liner all together, we've always wanted a hard surface (non-liner) pool for quite some time so our dogs can swim and go in/out without having to worry about tearing the liner up...unfortunatly every home we bought so far had a inground pool already there with a liner :( we plan on being in this home for 15-20 years or so (GUS willing) so I figured now would be the time to ask and at least see the pros/cons of such a modification? Its sounds possible, I mean the hole is already there, piping is ran...how hard can it be ???

Last fall I called a large pool installer in Charlotte and posed this same question. Our liner is living on borrowed time, the shallow end getting the worse of the wear. Blame it on that basketball goal. I was thinking maybe get rid of the liner replace it with a hard surface. They did not want to talk to me about whether or not this could be done. Just said they would have to destroy so much of the existing pool, you should just replace it. :shock:

Not sure if this is true but the pool is wedged between the house and poolhouse so I just gave up. I removed the winter cover 2 weeks ago and she is blue & sparkly so I guess we are good for now.

Saltypool said:
Last fall I called a large pool installer in Charlotte and posed this same question. Our liner is living on borrowed time, the shallow end getting the worse of the wear. Blame it on that basketball goal. I was thinking maybe get rid of the liner replace it with a hard surface. They did not want to talk to me about whether or not this could be done. Just said they would have to destroy so much of the existing pool, you should just replace it. :shock:

Not sure if this is true but the pool is wedged between the house and poolhouse so I just gave up. I removed the winter cover 2 weeks ago and she is blue & sparkly so I guess we are good for now.

Humm.. Darn the bad luck, it just seems like it wouldnt be so bad and I bet the market for it would be very large if someone came out with it as an option...Opened the pool already in this area huh, a bit chilly still for us, no heater (yet)..still have to replumb everything before this season...should be starting the project in a week or 2-3....Cant wait to get er done though.....

We do have a heater but it is still bypassed & drained. Until we get out of this freezing 50-60 degree weather there is no use to run the heater. We do have a solar cover but I'm afraid this cold weather will make it brittle. Where is our hot weather??

DBfan187 said:
a job my friend did for a customer http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 010&type=3

it's essentially a new pool

Great Pics :goodjob: , so it IS possible :party: ...ya just need to find the right contractor experienced and willing to attack the task at hand...That pool is exactly like my pool and EXACTLY what I was thinking it would be when it would be done....Any Idea if the price of the conversion was WAY high, close to the price of a whole new pool like some are saying ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have to remember that a hard surface pool has to not flex which requires a very study substrate. Vinyl is more forgiving in that respect.

Sent via Tapatalk...

The prices that are being thrown around are probably pretty close. You are building a complete pool from scratch in the existing hole. Some new deck will have to be poured and possibly some old deck removed to get to existing plumbing.

Humm, Looks like we may have to settle for the upper tile track type system with a cool looking liner....and continue to monitor the pups in/out of the pool, but at least we have a 6' wide fiberglass step entry to continue training the dogs to swim to and from:)
Thanks for all the input...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.