Warning if you have a newish Jandy Stealth Pump (SPHM2.0)

Karmann

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2012
DFW Texas (Midlothian)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
There is an issue with the lid suddenly failing allowing the pump to run dry

here's my story....

I have noticed that over the last few weeks my Pump was taking in a lot of air from what appeared to be lid. Even after resetting the lid and using pluming grease I seemed to still have a lot of air bubbles and it was gradually getting worse.

Messed with it a little last night couldn't get the air out manually turned off the system since it was almost time to shut off anyway.

Fast forward to this morning when the system turned on i noticed the spillway wasn't flowing and i could hear the pump through my bedroom wall "louder" than normal. I went out to investigate and the pump was completely dry and not priming. I freaked cause i know the system has been running for at least 45min, i opened the lid and steam came out. I checked skimmer door and everything was fine but when i turned on the system i could hear the lid hiss and water was barley flowing in but it never primed or even surged.

I thought the pump was ruined and i turned off the system and called my pool guy a little depressed hoping my warranty would cover this.

He showed up with a new lid, explained that the newish systems have been having a lot of issues with the lid gasket from the factory collapsing over time and replaced a new pump lid with a redesigned gasket with everything was 100% again, not a single air bubble at all. Pump was priming better than ever and i was back in business.

Lucky for me there was no permanent damage but if you're Jandy Stealth pump has more air bubbles that when it was installed or it's gradually getting worse you might consider getting a new one under warranty replacement (mine was only 7months old)

The model of my pump was SHPM2.0 (Jandy Stealth 2hp)

Hopefully this will help someone having the same behavior or issues with air bubbles in their pump. Had i not been home when the system turned on my pump would have been running dry all day and i surely would have needed a new pump no doubt.

Re: Warning if you have a newish Jandy Stealth Pump (SPHM2.0

That's good info for all the stealth users. Hopefully it will prevent someone from damaging their pump due to a mfg issue. There really should be a recall but that's hard to initiate on non-safety related items.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to check ours out today.

With the pump having run dry for 45 minutes and with steam coming out of the basket when you opened it up, I personally would be very suspicious of the shaft seal. Heat is what kills them. At the very least be on the lookout for drips under the pump where the motor meets the pump. If the shaft seal did bite the dust, you'll know in a couple months when the motor starts getting louder and louder eventually sounding like it's grinding as the front bearing slowly fails from the trickle of water it is getting exposed to.

Just my $0.02. How much time do you have left on your warranty?

thanks, i'm def keeping an eye on my pump.

It "sounds" normal but you're right it might fail sooner because it was allowed to run dry. I have ~30 months left on my warranty thank goodness

The seal either fails or it doesn't. It just takes a while for the symptoms to show up. With 2.5 years left on warranty, I'd just let it ride. If you lost the seal, that motor will be grinding by the end of the summer no doubt; well within your warranty period.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.