wtrtoys

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 6, 2013
North Canton, Ohio
First cost: 8.25% - $.021an oz
10% - $.025 an oz
12.5%- $.027 an oz
Go with the 12.5% from BJ's right? 4 gal. for $13.99

Next how much do I need for the 5 - 6 month season on average daily use 1-2 hours and a solar cover when not in use. Probably a stupide question but how many gallons do people start with 40, 50, 60 gallons I dont have a clue?

Have you found the pool calculator? It's in my sig and will help you calculate dosage.

Most folks simply get a few weeks supply of bleach. It DOES have a shelf life but 8.5% won't deteriorate much kept out of the heat and sun.

Stock as much as common sense tells you but don't try to buy enough for the season.

Sorry. I read your post a little hastily and overlooked the 12.5% from BJ's. The shelf life on 12.5% is much shorter than 8.25% so I probably wouldn't stock more than maybe 3 weeks worth.

It won't go bad but it will weaken in strength and negate your savings.

This BBB has me very nervous being only my second year with a pool. Last year I faired pretty well with my 4 trips a week to the pool store for water tests, and I dont feel like I spent that much on stuff, my Cya was over 100 and my copper is through the roof because the pool had been neglected for 9 years, bad chemistry and run through the heater for all that time (I dont have numbers as of recent but will get them soon). The reason for changing to bbb is this site, I believe in you guys a WHOLE lot more than the kid who gives me 3 different results in one day (yes I tested them with the same sample, 3 different people), so the tf100 and I are new best friends and the Pool calculator will also be my bff. Sorry for starting this topic, but like my boat this pool has become my obsession, to make it as nice as humanly possible for my family to enjoy!

If like to first welcome you to the site! You'll quickly find this site will quickly crush the local pool store. As for the question on how much to buy. Quickly looking at the cost, I wouldn't stock up on much at all. The prices are close, and without past knowledge of how much you'll use (each pool has different "needs") you may run into a case where you buy too much. Buy say, 10gallons and keep them in a cool dark place. This should get you a good start to the season, depending on your current water conditions.

I wish we could help you more on this question, but a honest answer has to be.... we don't know the right answer.

Thank you too for your reply, I guess I'll wait a bit then, I live in Ohio and it is by far the most miserable place to live in the US of A! It could be well over a month more of winter at this rate. Lol! Actually.the bleach is the least of my problems we can't find Borax anywhere, so that may be a speed bump of sorts. I'll have to widen my search I guess

It is widely available in the laundry section of many supermarkets. No need to buy it until you are sure you need it. It is not a "consumable" like chlorine.

I live in Ohio and it is by far the most miserable place to live in the US of A!
Uh-oh!! That may get a reaction. Pool lovers living in Gnome, Alaska may have a second opinion. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

A small town about 2miles south of Steubenville, Ohio here. I'm looking just the opposite, crossing my fingers to open the pool in about a month. It will be too cold to swim in, but by adding chlorine to it right away I'm hoping to open clean this year. :D

As for the Borax....don't worry that much about it. I've never added any to the pool, and don't plan on it either. Never have found the need to so far. It's sold at Wal-Mart (2team mule) but often they only have one or two boxes. A special order, or several trips maybe needed.

The wife is on the search today, we have already checked 2 wal marts, 2 targets, lowes, home depot, sams club, bj's, and acme (local grocery store) according to Borax's website it is supposed to be available at most of those. Probably an Ohio thing, I told ya this place sucks:) One old lady at BJ's told me Giant Eagle so the boss (wife) is heading there today but I'll tell her to hold off tilk we get a reading. I read on here somewhere cold water effects the reading so there is no sense in doing it now right? I did pull up a corner to show the concrete guy what he's dealing with and it is crystal clear so that made me smile:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Around where I am, Boarx is only available from the largest grocery stores and places like Target and WalMart. Even places that carry it don't always have it in stock.

One thing to watch out for, it is common for a store to only have a couple of boxes, and it is not too difficult to miss them among the large and colorful variety of other laundry products they carry.

Leebo we had it open and were swimming on St. Patty's day last year, definately not afraid of a little cold but this weather stinks. I have a huge equipment pad move planned, I just need a little dry weather to dig my ditch and time (working 7 days for awhile now) to get that done so I can get it fired up and running. I miss my fountain and the noise that comes from it, it puts me in a very happy place. :-D

I noticed that yesterday Jason, I have never journeyed into the laundry world before, it is very colorful and ALIVE! I did ask people at all those stores, some had heard of it and others looked at me like I was purple. The wife did just text me to say Giant Eagle has it and it is $5 for a small (I dont know what small means) box. I told her to get some so we have it and aren't scrambling during crunch time.

20 Mule Team is on the shelf about once in every 3 visits to my local WalMart in my suburb of Oklahoma City. Occasionally, it is hard to find the "plain" version of bleach too. Fortunately I have my wife trained to look for these things when she goes there, a quick phone call to ask me if we need any prevents any shortages.

I also, finally have a dedicated cool, dark corner setup for my bleach storage. Last years ignorance on heat and bleach confused the heck out of me when I dumped bleach in but levels didn't change.

Bob E.

Hi
I was new to BBB 3 years ago and i cant imagine doing it any other way! I was ALWAYS raising the pH and dealing with cloudiness.

I use normal 6% bleach from any store (whatever I can get cheap) and all that means is that my usual grocery shopping now includes 6-10 big bottles of bleach.

In terms of both Borax and Soda, I order from buythecase.com ONCE at the beginning of the season and never need it again. Once i add stabilizer (once at the beginning of season IF i need it) and then adjust the PH/TA...i NEVER need to adjust it again.

Welcome!

Thank you kindly for all of your advice. Like I said, I feel like I did pretty well last year I only had one cloudy episode the morning of a huge party (my chlorine tablet feeder lost pressure or something, no water). But I did run to the pool store a lot (it is close though) but this year with my tester and hopefully my cya and copper have diluted a bit over the winter I will have a successfull journey into the world of BBB.

I also buy the Austin Pool Shock from BJs and the quality is very good. To give you an idea: I use about 15 oz/day, so one gallon lasts about 9 days for me. More or less - about 3 gallons/month. Your pool is about twice the size of mine, so I would guess 1.5 cases/month for you.

Last year I bought two cases. Late in the year I bought another, and have a couple of gallons left over for this year. (I'm anxious to see if they're still potent enough.) There were only three or four cases left in August, and never saw them stock more.

Dan

I don't think it goes bad. It just gets weaker. I'll test mine from last year when I open the pool. It'll be a good test - I'll have zero CL in the pool, and I'll pour in enough to get me to 5 or so, then I'll check it.

As for Bj's - next time I'm there, I'll put a mark on one of the bottom cases, and check if it's still there each time I go in. I bet the pallet they have there now will still be there in late May.

Dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.