Gunite to plaster question for the educated and builders...

Aug 25, 2011
My pool has been sitting for approximately 5 months through the rainy season. It has about a foot of murky water in it throughout the bottom. It has also developed a slime layer, it is almost moss. My builder is planning on plastering soon and I need to know if anything needs to be done besides pumping out the water? At this point I don't have a lot off confidence in what I have been told.

My questions are:
Is pumping out the murky water all that needs to be done?
How long does it need to dry before plaster or how dry does the gunite need to be before plaster?
If there is a scum layer after the water is removed, how does it need to be cleaned or prepped?

At this point I could see my builder pumping out the water and wanting to plaster all in the same day. I want to make sure if I need dry time or cleaning that I am educated so I can respond to his possible answer.
I want to know my plaster is going to come out good and not last just long enough for my builder to be down the road....

[attachment=0:1v5ckq9c]pool water.jpg[/attachment:1v5ckq9c]

Attachments

• pool water.jpg
    pool water.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 138
Re: Gunite to plaster question for the educated and builders

Pumping out the water is just the first step. There is more to be done, though the process isn't too difficult.

It doesn't need to dry at all. In fact any concrete that is dry needs to be throughly wetted down.

There often is "scum", which will need to be throughly cleaned out. This can be done rather quickly with a pressure washer, or a couple of other ways, but it does need to throughly cleaned.

Draining, cleaning, surface prep, and plaster can easily be done in a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.