Hiring pool installer

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
Okay, so I've decided on the pool and equipment, now on to hiring someone to install.
I've talked to a few people already and it has me worried about finding someone who will do the job right. Some guys give really vague information, some never return calls, some say they don't need to look at the yard first even though it's sloped. Am I worrying needlessly?
What are some specific questions I need to ask potential installers? Are there any particular red flags to watch for?

The first thing I'd ask is if there is an install that they did that I could look at.
Then I'd ask how much of a slope will they grade out before there's an upcharge.
Then, whether they use rigid or flex PVC.
Finally, do they provide the pad for the equipment.

You are not worrying needlessly. Get EVERYTHING in writing (dates, materials, extremely detailed cost breakdown, approach, warranty/guarantee, what happens if/when they have delays on their side (or on yours) and who pays, or damage to your property, etc, etc)!!!! We had a horrific installation from a company who was very personable during the initial sales process but were nothing short of a bunch of hacks who created significant damage to the property and the pool, and the delays were endless. Do not agree to a high percentage up front of as phases are complete, you're not buying a partially done pool, your buying a complete working product. It doesn't do you any good to have an 80% complete pool. Get multiple references and ask a lot of questions, be on-site and take lots of pictures and document. Good luck!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What Info did you give him about your yard? How much out of level is the place where your pool is going? Some installers charge extra if its out of level more than five inches. I know installers that charge up to $25 an inch in anything over five inches out of level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each potential installer I call I'm telling them that the pool site is sloped. I'm not sure exactly how out of level it is, but I would estimate 24-30 inches. (photo attached)[attachment=0:3mbl301h]pool site.jpg[/attachment:3mbl301h]

Attachments

• pool site.jpg
    pool site.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 151
yes, i would be concerned about that. unless your yard is completely/perfectly flat and you are certain there are no underground utilities (electrical, gas, sewer/septic, etc.). retaining walls may be needed, zoning setbacks need to be considered, location of pool equipment to the pool/house/etc.), how will they get equipment into the area?

cramar,
The pool site is about 100 ft. from the electric box in our house. We're planning to rent a trencher ($150 all day), dig the trench ourselves and hire an electrician to put a GFCI at the pool site. I'm thinking an extra outlet would be smart, too. I've talked to a couple of electricians, but haven't decided on one yet.

Don't forget about the pool bonding also. You'll want the second outlet, plus it might be code. What type of cord do you have to have on your pump, 3 prong or twist lock? Your electric code will tell you what you need. What ever you do don't use an ext. cord for pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afreil said:
cramar,
The pool site is about 100 ft. from the electric box in our house. We're planning to rent a trencher ($150 all day), dig the trench ourselves and hire an electrician to put a GFCI at the pool site. I'm thinking an extra outlet would be smart, too. I've talked to a couple of electricians, but haven't decided on one yet.

:goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.