Is my SWG problem common of fine debrees on floor

Mrlittlejohn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 17, 2013
I installed a AquaRite SWG some 4 years ago. Every since I installed it, I have had a problem of a very fine debrees on the floor of the pool that will be noticible after 2 days. I have vacuumed it many times. I have even sent it to waste, with the thought that the sand filter would not trap it well enough to backwash it out.

My cell went out last year and I replaced it with a T3 and a new controller. I am currently battling some stain/etching of my pool and have it drained. I will be filling back up and restarting soon.

Any thought and suggestions are very much welcomed,
Mike

Most likely that comes from having a just slightly too low FC level. When FC is just slightly low and CYA is fairly high it is easy for algae to kind of get started but not do well, ie never all die out but also never take over the pool. The dead algae tends to rain down on the bottom forming a very fine dust layer. There are some other possibilities, but they don't seem as likely.

Thanks Jason.

Any suggestions on when I fill my pool back up? I will be filling from my well, no city water where I live. Should I have the water tested for certain levels to determine how and when to stabilize the water?

As for the debrees... It was so fine and I could brush it away into the water and it was still crystal clear.

Mike

Always a good idea to do a complete set of tests for your fill water. Pool School lists the five parameters we think are essential to good pool water management.

Filling with well water opens the possibility of iron content. If it's high enough, you will be plagued by that iron forever. At the VERY least, test your water for iron and report the results.

What kind of test kit do you have? To properly maintain the pool, you will need your own test kit. We recommend either the Taylor K-2006 or TF-100 from tftestkits.net. As for iron, you will have to rely on the pool/hardware store for that, because Taylor kits I believe are rather expensive. I'm not sure what test is recommended to test salt levels.

I do not currently have one of these kits. The hardware store that I use tests for each of the tests that the Taylor kit does and some more including salt content. Yes, they depend upon me buying chemicals from them, but they also give me quantitative amounts of chemicals to add for my pool size. I screwed up and stopped going there when I installed the SWG and had issues a couple years later, but plan to religously use them for now on.

Are these store test systems not reliable? I believe it is quite an expensive reader as it digitally scans the strip to calculate values.

Just curious why I would need to learn the reading of these test kits as I have read several complaints on how they are difficult to understand.

Thanks,
Mike

The strips are the worst kind of test that can be used. For example, if you set the strip down on a surface while waiting the amount of time the test says, the color will leach. If you don't wait long enough, the color might not be accurate. If the strips are old or have gotten damp, the color will not be accurate. A fancy meter does not solve these problems. That is why a drop based kit is recommended. As for proper amounts to add, use poolcalculator.com.
EDIT: Here's one of the threads about test strips: chemical-test-strips-t55938.html?hilit=test%20strips%20experiment

I read more into some of the reviews. I saw where some people would get conflicting reports from the same water from going to their pool store. I guess I understand better why you are recommending the drop based system. Looks like I will get one soon.

Thanks for your wisdom !

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.