Add chem's after drain/acid wash

Maxomom

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2010
Very shortly my pool will be drained and acid washed. I am sure that the person I selected to do this work will provide instructions as to how to treat the new water once we begin to refill but I am interested in the expert opinions I have always received from this forum. This is my first drain/acid wash (not my first drain) since replastering this pool some years ago. Sooo looking forward to getting the calcium build up and blue stains off the surface of my pretty pool. I have a good Taylor test kit and typically use liquid chlorine (the pool store strength - 12%?) Where I am weak in my knowledge is how to stabilize either during or after fill. Person who managed previous drain added chem's for me in my pre-TFP days. Tap water test shows 275 CH right out of the gate. Aside from carefully monitoring pH going forward, any precautionary measures to take now?

Any advice that you can provide is always valued! Thanks....

It is also important to know your tap water TA level.

The basic refill startup process is fairly simple: once full and equipment running add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening until 24 hours after CYA is added. 24 hours after CYA is added switch to raising FC to the target level appropriate for your target CYA level. Adjust PH to be in range if required. Add CH if required (i.e. not in your case).

The only unknown here is how you will want to treat the TA level, which depends on your tap water TA level.

TA around 90 is perfect for the initial fill. Except for chlorine and CYA your water will be balanced right off. Longer term CH and TA will both tend to drift up and when that happens you are going to need to keep TA under careful control to avoid calcium scaling, but in the short term you are all set.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.