Sand for my new sand filter

Jan 8, 2013
Sydney, Australia
We have a big hardware chain store here called Bunnings, it usually has pretty much all I need at good prices, it doesn't have anything called pool sand though, it has Zeolite but I don't want that.

I called and then I just went in there are a few types of sand but none of them have the grain size or any of the other markings printed on them I am looking for:

grade / no 20 silica/quartz sand, 0.45-0.85mm 16/30 or 20/30

Bunnings have brickies sand (yellow or white), sydney sand and river sand, I think river sand is the way to go but the packaging has nothing else on there.

Basically I would like to go and pickup the sand in Sydney somewhere.

Thanks for your time.

Richard

You want #20 sand, .45 - .55mm. Either label, #20 or .45 - .55 mm will do as they both mean the same thing. Sand that is labeled for pool filter use should also be fine. It is unlikely that any sand that does't have any of those labels will work as most kinds of sand have a much wider variation in particle size (and thus won't work).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.