I finally have NO problems with my pool! Pics included

Hi folks. I have lurked around the forums for quite awhile now. Recently, I registered so that I could use the "search" option. This forum is a must-have link for any pool owner!!! Its amazing the amount of knowlege that is here. I can't say that this is all completely foreign to me because growing up, my parents had a pool until I was about 19 or so... (came home from school to find grass growing where the inground pool used to be but thats another story.) Currently, I have ZERO problems with my pool which is a first ever.

Last year on June 4th, I had my 18x33 above ground pool built.

I purchased the pool through a local pool guy who used to help my parents out with theirs. Got the pool at cost and picked it up at the semi-local wholesaler under my local guy's account. They knew I was a homeowner and didnt want to sell to me... thats why I had to use the local guy's account. My wife, 16 month old daughter at the time, and I were terribly excited about it as everyone should be with a pool. So the day finally came and I filled it up about 6 inches through my well and called in the water tanker to finish it up. 2 loads of water at $200 per load. Upon filling the pool up, the sides of the pool raised up off of the ground and the straps that go under the liner and sand became visible.

Here you can see the pool wall actually lifted up from the ground and you can see the sand.
raised.jpg
and

This pic was taken looking straight down inside of the pool.
straps.jpg

So I called the company that I hired to contstruct the pool. They came back out and looked around and thought that maybe the blocks that the buttresses were sitting on were too small and that maybe that part of the ground was too low on each side. (it was hard to believe because I was there when the ground was being dug out and leveled.) That was the first draining of the pool. So they put larger blocks down and repeated the process. Tanked in two more loads of water.

Upon filling the pool, the sides raised up again...and the straps were visible under the liner and sand. So I got the company back out and they scratched their heads etc... MORE SAND! yeah thats the ticket! So I drained the pool again. They added sand and I had 2 more loads of water tanked in. Same thing again. By this time, I was at my wits end. It was probably early September of last year and the pool still wasn't right. The company I hired compensated me for 2 loads of water and came back out to look at the pool. The owner brought all his guys out this time so they could brainstorm.

One of the guys was leaning over looking in the pool while all of the others were talking away. Suddenly he looked up and said something like "Does this thing have the pressure plates?" Then I could see it written on all their faces... that was it. But I was wondering what a pressure plate was. They explained it to me as being something like a piece of sheet metal that sits below the sand but above the flat straps that go underneath oval pools. Somehow, these pieces were not installed when building the pool. They figured it out finally! I cant say that I wasn't upset during this process because I was. BUT, they did hang in there with me and never gave up.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago and another 2 loads of water at $225 a tank (diesel costs went up) and my pool is finally right! Now my biggest goal is to keep the water nice and clear. And now thanks to all of you, I have a head start on what to do and what not to do. This morning I ordered a set of steps and couple of days ago I got a solar cover on the way. All of last year between water fillings I was using the test strips and thanks to you guys, I am now on the hunt for a 'real' testing system. My next two projects are going to be building a solar cover reel and contracting someone out to build a deck for the pool.

Again, great forum here and Ill be passing the link to a couple of friends that are pool owners. Thanks!

Well, thanks for finally registering!!! Great story, we love pictures and congrats on finally getting a pool you can use!!!!

Welcome Axl!

You write a mean story!! :p

Glad to know that you will finally be able to enjoy your pool! Give us some more pix when you have time.

On the hunt for a "real testing system"? TF Test Kit link in my sig. :wink:

We're glad to have you.

Thanks for the kind words. I am getting ready to order one of the test kits from DurRaleigh today! I saw that he is less than an hour away from my location. (probably will still get it shipped tho.) Ive dropped some cash over the last few days (steps, solar cover, various chemicals, replacement nature2, new gauge for pump) but I realize that I need to be able to test for FC especially and my current test eq only does PH and TC... whats another $65 in the grand scheme of things right?

I also have a replacement Nature2 cartridge that came in yesterday. Im torn as to whether or not to replace the old one or not. The general consensus around here is that it could be more trouble than its worth... especially if the BBB method is used. (which I have read about quite a bit.)

Since the last "fixing of the pool" I have been waiting to make sure there are no leaks in the new liner and since there are none at the present time, I can finally backfill around the pool! Maybe I can get some grass growing again!

WooOOoooO! Ive learned so much from the information from this forum that I am actually starting to feel like I know something about pool water!

*** if any other pool noobies are reading this: Check out the Stickies They are filled with very vaulable information.

Axl,

Hey, yeah less than an hour. I live on the north side of Falls Lake...probably not 40 minutes from you.

If they'll take it back, let 'em keep the Nature2. It will do you little, if any, good.

Ask lot's of questions on the forum. This is a great place for pool care knowledge and tons of people willing to help. VERY friendly bunch......even the Texans!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.