Help selecting the Suction Pool cleaner

rg7174

Mar 16, 2013
Hello. First time posting. Can you help me select the best suction pool cleaner for my pool. I have an odd shape pool (looks like a kidney) with a small round seating area (about 7' diameter) with jets at one end of the pool (it is at pool level / an extension of the pool). I would like to find the best suction pool cleaner that could go over the pool steps and seating area. I have problems with leaves and dirt (specially on top of seating area of spa and pool steps) . I had tried Zodiac Barracuda but did not go over the steps. Thank you.

rg7174:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

One of the considerations in selecting a suction pool cleaner is whether you already have, or are open to installing, a booster pump. If the answer to either of these is no, then your choice is limited to a cleaner that does not require a booster pump. Since I do not have a booster pump, I use the Polaris 360. I'm happy with it and it does go over the pool steps and seating areas of my pool.

Thank you for the reply BoDarville. I did not even know what a booster pump was until I did a web search. I do not have a booster pump and I would prefer to avoid installing one. I am going to look into the Polaris 360. Thanks again.

If any anybody else has any other suggestions please post them. Thank you

I can tell you from experience to stay away from the Hayward Navigator 925ADC. I'm replacing this PB provided plastic-anchor very soon :rant: Hayward Technical support finally told me the unit just is not designed for cleaning silt & sand and also is not good with leaves, pine needles and or acorns.... :blah: what tha, really? :hammer: hence the anchor comment.
I've heard good things about the robots but don't like the idea of a power cord. I also like the Polaris but I dont think the 360 is a suction cleaner (the Polaris ATV is). I'm trying to avoid the booster pump/pressure side route, sooo I've narrowed it down to two (based on design fedback and price); Pentair Kreepy Krauly SandShark GW7900 and the Zodiac Barracuda MX8. Let me know what you come up with.

I think OP already tried the Zodiac Baracuda MX8 and wanted something that will work a little better with his stairs. I Recently purchased the MX8, and hope that it works with my pool. I chose it because of the reviews and availability of reasonably priced parts. I know its not $1000.00 like the robots, but $400.00 is a lot of money when you just paid for new pool.

Killer95Stang said:
I think OP already tried the Zodiac Baracuda MX8 and wanted something that will work a little better with his stairs. I Recently purchased the MX8, and hope that it works with my pool. I chose it because of the reviews and availability of reasonably priced parts. I know its not $1000.00 like the robots, but $400.00 is a lot of money when you just paid for new pool.
yep, i missed that! sorry rg7174. At this point I'd be happy with a cleaner that didn't jam daily. Maybe the Polaris design is the best way to go for steps, those things seem to perform tricks and are good at climbing.

Thanks for the replies pragmatic and Killer95Stang. I will stay away from the Hayward. When I first got the Zodiac, it was doing a decent job, but I was always having problems with the steps. Since the pool has an odd shape the Zodiac will clean some sections of the pool several times during the cleaning cycle while never going over other sections. Also the Zodiac fell apart after a couple of years and had to replace some of the parts. I am going to start doing some research on the Polaris. I will keep you post it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.