New home owner with pool that has a broken filter

BPena8

Mar 15, 2013
Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum and I am not exactly sure if this is the right topic for my post, and if not I am sorry.

I bought my house last year and we are starting to get near the start of pool season but the pool wasnt maintained previously and the filter and pump are both destroyed...the filter is in 2 pieces.

I was looking on the internet to try and find the best and most economical replacement, but I have heard and read to many things that I have hit an information overload so to speak. I read the pool school advice on which filter types can be used, but my question now relates to filter sizing.

Pool Specs: 30ft round x 52in deep which if im right, is about 20k gallons. What would a good pump/filter combo for this pool be?

I live in Newark, DE.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Barry

Welcome.

I'm sure someone will be along with specifics, but in general you want the biggest filter you can afford. I'm assuming an above ground so the pump won't have to be self-priming. 3/4 to 1 hp will probably me all you need, a two speed can save on electricity in the long run.

Welcome to TFP!!!

If you water depth is 4' that puts you around 21k gallons.

General filter sizing recommendation are a minimum: 300 sqft cartridge, 4sqft sand (27"+), 60 sqft DE
Really on the cartridge you can go as big as you can afford. The sand and DE you have to give a little consideration as to ensuring they are not too big for whatever pump you get to adequately backwash.

As Dan said, if you have no special high flow requirements (water features, solar, etc) a 2-speed 3/4-1 HP pump would work well.

Realize you do not have to by the pump and filter in a "combo unit" as any pump can be plumbed to any filter.

Also the multi-valves are generally more convenient that the push/pull backwash valves if you go with sand or DE.

Thanks for the responses!

Yes it is an aboveground pool, sorry I thought I had included that.

I think I have decided to go with a sand filter based on the things I have read and the prices that I have found for your recommendations.

I found two sand filters that come pretty close to your minimum recommendations that still meet the budget I am currently trying to stay at.

Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/Top Mount Valve - 27-inch Wide Tank

or the

Pentair Sand Dollar 26 Inch Top Mount Sand Filter

I realize the "effective filtration area" is a little low but these for me have come the closest with price.

If anyone has any objections or any better specific suggestions, I would welcome them.

Thanks again for all the information!

Barry

Hi, Barry,

Those are close enough to the guidelines and should work just fine. Match up a pump. Don't go bigger than 1hp and a 2-speed .75 (as suggested above) would seem ideal to me.

While you were reading in Pool School, did you pick up that you need a good test kit? If you have never had a pool, it is priceless as it gives you the knowledge to give the pool exactly what it needs. After I got mine......only fun times in the pool with absolutely zero down time.

Make sure you have some sort of leaf rake and a brush for the walls........

Bob E.

Thanks Everyone!

I just ordered the new system

Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed Vertical Discharge w/ Cord

Pentair Sand Dollar SD 80 Sand Filter (1.5" Valve) w/ ClearPro Tech

I appreciate all the help and recommendations.

I will also be purchasing a test kit for sure!

Thanks,
Barry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.