Solar mounting question... screen enclosure?

Feb 7, 2012
Orlando, FL
I have to get a new roof and with the orientation of our pool enclosure, there's a REALLY bright spot that could use some shade (everyone's always huddled up under a small overhang)... I figure maybe I could mount the solar panels to the enclosure, heat my pool, avoid roof leaks down the road (primary reason we need a new roof is the solar install - and roofer won't warranty any area with a solar system), and get some MUCH needed shade.

Possible? Would a hurricane come along and turn my enclosure into a giant sail, while blowing my house away?

Thanks in advance!

onesickpsycho said:
Possible? Would a hurricane come along and turn my enclosure into a giant sail, while blowing my house away?

Not if the enclosure and solar is installed properly to code.

Are you adding roof to provide shade that the solar would then is upon? The solar panels are not meant to span gaps between beams.

So there is no decking up there now? In that case, the support structure may not have been designed for the added weight and wind loads.

I think you would need to talk to a professional down there that knows the code requirements and would be able to tell you if what you are looking to do is feasible.

It's not the weight, most panels are light.

It's the wind.

The structure must meet wind load, where I am it is 140mph.

Just finished my plans for screened in pergola with some of the panels above, and my architect said
the key is the weight of the curbing the posts are attached to, that's what holds it down.

Of course the straps and other items play a role.

You should have it looked at by an architect or engineer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.