Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using the sump system - questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Using the sump system - questions

We had over 7 inches of rain in one hour the other day and I noticed that there is some water beneath the liner of my pool. I opened the valve for the sump and managed to get some water out before I noticed the dirt from the water being recirculated into the pool.

Is this normal? Am I supposed to close other valves first?
    Lee
    10200 gal 12x24 IG vinyl, Dual Main Drains, Sta Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 1.5 HP pump, Zodiac LM3 SWCG, Letro Platinum w/booster, Colorlogic, Spraydeck, Deck jets, Oasis 36" Arch Waterfall, custom built BBQ island

2. Back To Top    #2
    If you are pumping from the sump you should put your main valve on waste first. If your valve doesn't have a waste position then you don't have much choice, it will go into the pool one way or another.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. No waste valve. Does this mean it is plumbed wrong?
    Lee
    10200 gal 12x24 IG vinyl, Dual Main Drains, Sta Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 1.5 HP pump, Zodiac LM3 SWCG, Letro Platinum w/booster, Colorlogic, Spraydeck, Deck jets, Oasis 36" Arch Waterfall, custom built BBQ island

4. Back To Top    #4
    Well, I might call it "less than ideal". Using the pool pump as a sump pump isn't such a great idea in the first place, but it does save quite a bit of money (otherwise you would need a second pump). Likewise, rotary valves with a waste position sometimes cost more then the alternatives, and a cartridge filter has no need of them at all, so sometimes they are skipped as well. You are still better of then if you didn't have any way to pump out the sump, but it could have been done in a better way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School