Pump & Filter System Upgrade

Jun 5, 2011
Well, it's been over a year since I was last here. The front yard is finally landscaped and with the daily temperature starting to warm up I'm now in the back yard "play area" looking at updating/upgrading my system.

It seems to be a very basic system - I'm still in "Pool School" - with only the pool to take care of (no water falls, slides, hot tubs, etc.). With this update I'd like to get new, energy efficient equipment, rethink the filtration system (sand, DE, other) and add a heating system (lacking knowledge here) to extend my swimming season.

My current system - Sta-Rite filter, Centurion/MagneTek pump, Intermatic mechanical timer, and a gas line for where there once was a heater before I bought the house. I'm also thinking ot enclosing the area, maybe some more concrete, from the house in the photo to the wall behind me, about an 8' x 14" area.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on brands, mechanical versus electrical timers (is one more efficient than the other), pumps, and heating systems. I'm a bang for your buck type of guy who also wants quality and a good warranty at the same time. ANy recommendations? BTW, my pool is 16'x20' & 5" deep with half circles on either end extending the pool length to 32'. One end has steps, the other a built-in bench.

Thanks for your time! - Mike

Attachments

• 0314130814.jpg
    0314130814.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 71
Well, they are old, probably 15 years or so. I hate the timer since I can hear it grinding through the wall so I'm definitely replacing it, the pump is on its last legs (it was leaking again the last week of the season) and I don't want to fix it again, and although the filter seems to do the job I'll probably just replace it as well to start fresh with an entire system. I've never had a problem with the top value (backwash, filter, to waste, etc.) and a sand filter will probably do the trick (Hayward or other). Then again, are there benefits to DE that sand can't provide? Cost more? Back to school to me...

Well, they are old, probably 15 years or so.
You've taken good care of them. They look newer. If you have been happy with a sand filter, I would suggest not changing. DE and cartridge have a few advantages and a few disadvantages. The vast majority of folks here on the forum seem to like best what they currently have.

I would also suggest a 2-speed pump this time. You probably won't save enough electricity to justify the front money on a VS pump but a 2-speed does ALMOST the same thing making the payback quite a bit faster.

I have a standard mechanical Intermatic timer. The newer electronic ones look nice but I won't change 'til this one breaks. Sounds like yours might be ready to do just that. Others will probably comment on the electronic ones.

Since you mentioned warranty, many warranties are just 1 year. But, some companies (Pentair for one I think) will extend to 3 years if you buy 3+ pieces at the same time. So, if you bought a new pump, filter, and heater, that should extend the warranty. Or maybe a pump, filter, and SWG.

I agree a 2-speed pump would be a good improvement ... likely only need in the 3/4-1HP size.

What do you estimate the volume at? I get around 10-12k gallons, but can not picture it (or the depth profile).
Possible min. filter sizes: 150 sqft cartridge, 2.1 sqft sand (20"), 30 sqft DE.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.