OK,,,,how about the Electrical Stuff.....

DMAN11

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA area
Hi everyone,

Good news, we went in and paid for our 27' AGP this weekend so it shouldn't be long now. The pool and equipment is in, just waiting for the installer now. However, the more I read here at TFP, I want to tell him to stay home and put it up myself....

Anyway, my question now is this... As far as the electrical hookups go, we will be trenching out to where the pool is gonna be and putting in a 4X4 i guess to put a power box on for the power. I have heard that it's a lil cheaper to run the pump (1.5hp) 220 instead of 110, so that's wht we'll do. I also want to have extra power out there in order to add outlets for lights, radio, or whatever. We were told by one pool guy that there is a power box with a timer built in that would allow a timer for the pump stuff and give extra breakers for adding outlets and stuff. Can someone give me some insight on this stuff and if possible show me pics, or at least direct me to somewhere I can look at them. The one guy said HD sells the box, but I don't even know what I'm looking for.

BTW, while on the topic of eletrical, I spoke to an electrician today about doing some other small jobs like a flood light n the back yard, and a couple of ceiling fans on the patio. He told me that it's something I can do myself if I have any knowledge of wiring at all. I do have a little knowledge of wire nuts and such, so do you guys have any info or advice on doing those?? According to his quote, it will save me about $500 to do it myself.

Thanks.....DMAN

Well, you just never know how much electrical background someone has but it doesn't sound like sticking your hands inside a live electrical panel is something you do frequently. Unless you've done it before, I'd stay far away from that project.....That job is best reserved for licensed electricians and, in some areas, I think may be required by law.

Dave,

I definitely will not be doing any of the hooking up to the main box or anything like that. I may rent a trenching machine and do that myself since it will save me about $400 to do that myself. But, I was just wondering about the flood light and ceiling fans part. I know it's just unscrewing and screwing a few wire nuts(for the most part), so I am ok with doing that. The big stuff like going into the main box and stuff will definitely be left up to the pros.

As per the electrician, he said that there is no code about DIY in this matter here in our area. Just have to use you head as to how far I want to do it myself.... and a couple of ceiling fans is about as far as I would go.

What do ya think??

Thanks,,,,,,DMAN

Ok, trenching you can do and most electricians would rather someone else do the digging anyway :roll: Unless you have quite a bit of knowledge in electrical I wold suggest you leave the pool wiring to someone else.As far as fans and a flood light, are they going up in an existing light location?If yes then the flood light will be no problem for you, ceiling fan box will need to be reinforced for the weight and vibration.

Guys,

Any idea about the boxes I mentioned?? I want to get the right power box to the pool site for future add-ons. We were told about the box that has a timer built in to it, but I'm not sure what to look for,,,,Any help on this stuff would be appreciated.

How do you guys have your pums and stuff hooked up??? Just a plug in box or what??

Sorry to be such a headache with all this stuff that may be so easy, but as I said before, we are new to the game so we know nothing......

Please Help!!!!

Thanks.....DMAN

I power my pump from a multi-outlet timered power stake that plugs into a switch-controlled outlet that's mounted on a 4x4 post by my pump.

Here's a link to Swimming Pools Etc. 's website that has what I think you want :

linky

Is that what you want?

HTH,
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.