White milky foam on pool after opening and shocking twice

May 20, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there I opened my pool last Monday shocked it with 6 pounds of shock-it never cleared past the green stage and started getting a white milky foam on the top, when it get sinto the skimmers it really bubbles up like soap, I did not add algecide nor has anyone had access to putting soap in my pool. Left town got home yesterday added 6 more pounds of shock had water tested by pool store they said everything was good should be clearing up but 3 hours after shocking it the white foam is now covering the whole pool and the water still isn't clearing up. Pool store said to clean the filter with a filter cleaner and then shock again tomorrow? I'm just confused because last year I had no problems and it was clear in three days. Please help

Thanks

Do you have water test numbers?

Foaming like that can usually be resolved by using enough chlorine. The trick is to not add it all at once but to spread it out so you maintain an appropriate FC level. That is easiest to do if you have a high quality test kit so you can measure high FC levels.

They pool store did not give me my test numbers and I do not have a high quality test quit. I was told by someone it was algae and since I didn't use an algacide I needed to use that or muriatic acid I went ahead and cleaned the fliter tonight and am letting it sit over night. How much algacide or muriatic acid are you spposed to use? It wouldn't have had anything to do with the antifreeze we put in for winter would it?

Thank you

What you need is a good test kit and chlorine. I recommend the TF Test Kit, though the Taylor K-2006 is also good. There is no better investment in your pool you can make. The chlorine will kill any remaining algae and break down whatever it is that is foaming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.