1.0 HP electric pool pump motor uses 1,500 watts per hour?

Jan 14, 2013
SW Florida
Split off of this topic.

Durk Quote: "1500 watts is what the pump draws. So, in one hour, it uses 1500 watt-hours, or 1.5 kwh".

Where did you get the info that a single speed 1.0 HP electric pool pump motor uses 1,500 watts per hour?

Re: Single speed pump kwh

He appears to have gotten it from my post. I got it from the 2011 CEC pump efficiency database. I averaging the measured power draw of all of the 1 HP (on the name plate) pumps tested at full speed in (simulated) real world conditions (curve C) and then rounded to the nearest multiple of 100 watts. The numbers I used are all from in ground pumps. Above ground pumps will draw less power.

The 2013 APSP-15 numbers give the same average, with individual pumps ranging from 1023 watts to 2310 watts.

Turbota said:
Durk Quote: "1500 watts is what the pump draws. So, in one hour, it uses 1500 watt-hours, or 1.5 kwh".

Where did you get the info that a single speed 1.0 HP electric pool pump motor uses 1,500 watts per hour?

Read my post again. 'Watts per hour' does not exist. It draws 1500 watts period, as long as it is running. And yes, I just took the number in JasonLion's post. I was trying to clarify how you get from wattage to electricity used. It appears I failed.

No that site is not correct, a 1 HP pump will draw much more than that. Most 1 FRHP pumps will draw close to 2 kw. I think the numbers they are using are theoretical and the HP represents THP not label HP.

Re: 1.0 HP electric pool pump motor uses 1,500 watts per hou

One thing that is important to understand here is that name plate HP is a fiction developed by marketing people to suit marketing needs and has much less than you might imagine to do with what you actually measure when you test the pump. There are big 1 HP pumps, little 1 HP pumps, and everything in-between, which if reality entered into it would never get the same HP rating.

I would agree that for residential pool pumps, the motor's nameplate HP has very little meaning by itself. However, it is still important rating for an induction motor in an industrial application with varying loads. This is where the practice of using the label HP for nominal load and the service factor for peak load originated. I think motor manufactures are just trying to be consistent in their rating system and nomenclature for all motors in all applications including pool pump motors.

However, it was the pool pump manufacture who made the decision to offer two identical pumps with two different motor label ratings (up rated and full rated). This was unnecessary and just added to the pool owners confusion.

Unfortunately, many pool owners attempt to draw conclusions about a pump's size and/or power from the motor's label HP or even the SFHP. At best, there is only a loose correlation. But to truly understand the characteristics of a pump, one should ignore the motor label and focus on the pump's head curve. That is the only way to compare pump performance.

Hi all I came across your forum doing some research and noticed some interesting items here.

"One thing that is important to understand here is that name plate HP is a fiction developed by marketing people to suit marketing needs and has much less than you might imagine to do with what you actually measure when you test the pump. There are big 1 HP pumps, little 1 HP pumps, and everything in-between, which if reality entered into it would never get the same HP rating."

The hp rating on the pump is a directly matched to the performance of the pump. Yes you can have a pump that can do a 100 gpm and a pump that can do 25gpm and both be 1HP, the big diffrence is goint to be that the first might only be able to pump up 20 feet while the other would probably do a 100ft or so.

Pumps are not rated in horsepower at all. Motors are rated in horsepower. People equate the pump size to the size of the motor because it's what they see. In the pool pump industry Jason's statement is correct. The stated hp of the motor is strictly a fictional number made up for marketing. Especially in aboveground pumps. If you look at a lot of aboveground pump motors you won't even find a hp listed on the motor. That's because the motor mfg has been instructed by the pump mfg not to show it. That way they can rate the pump anyway they want to, and it in no way relates the the real world. There are even some pumps that are rated with a motor service factor less than 1.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.