Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algea on steps

1. Back To Top    #1

Algea on steps

Found this forum looking for a preventative measure and looks very informative and friendly. My neighbors pool was diagnosed as having mustard algea. He is taking his pool down and wanted to know if I want his steps......the plastic kind that fills with water. If I fill the steps with a few bottles of bleach and water, brush/wash the outside with bleach/water......will it kill the algea? I sure do not want the trouble he had last year.

BigJoe
    20k fiberglass w/ vinal liner, 1Hp magneTek Centurion Switchless Motor, Hayward Pro Series high rate 20" sand filter, Hayward RP 2100 Digital Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

Washing the steps with a bleach solution will kill any algae on the spots you can reach. You need to check to see if there are spots you can't reach. Some steps have hidden corners that are hard to get at and others are easier to get everywhere.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    I was looking thru some of the threads too. So if the steps are enclosed where I can't brush it, the chlorine won't kill it? If thats the case, I don't think I want them.
    20k fiberglass w/ vinal liner, 1Hp magneTek Centurion Switchless Motor, Hayward Pro Series high rate 20" sand filter, Hayward RP 2100 Digital Heater.