Can you have too big of a filter?

May 13, 2009
Mn
We are looking to move to a cartridge filter. We've been educated here that bigger is better. Could we get a filter that is simply too big for our pump to move water through? We contacted sta-rite (we have a 2speed 1hp dynamo pump) and they suggested a Plm 125 sq foot filter. I've been told here that we should have 300 sq feet.

My concern is that when the pump is on low (.12 hp) that it won't be able to move water through the cartridge (plm 300).

Also we only swim 3 months out of the year so it'd be nice to only have to clean the cartridge at close down.

Our pump pad is about 10 feet from the pool, and we have a heater...we pump 24hrs a day due to the heater.

Thanks! Can't wait to get swimming again!

For a cartridge filter, you should have less resistance with a larger filter making the pump's job easier, so the only negative would be the cost of the filter and replacement cartridges.

Short answer, no a cartridge filter can't be too large. Larger filters go longer between cleanings and they are more efficient. However, they are also more expensive and take up more space. We recommend getting the largest filter you can afford and have space for.

All common pool filters are more efficient when they are larger. They take longer to get dirty, filter more effectively, and reduce flow less than their smaller counterparts. They are however more expensive both in upfront costs and ongoing costs related to filter media.

MN Pooldreamer, I notice you have the same pump that I am about to buy so wondering if you would mind sharing your opinion or experience with it? How long have you had it?

As for filters, cleaning it as you are closing rather than during season is very nice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.