Steady Pressure Rise Over Time

mpride

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2008
Sugar Land Texas
When my pool was installed a few years ago the pressure gauge on the filter read somewhere around 20. I was told to clean the filters after a rise of about 10 from the current baseline. I have down this but noticed that my pressure never really falls back to where it was the last time the filters were cleaned. It seems to rise gradually each time. I noticed that my pressure was around 32 after I cleaned the filters a couple of weeks ago. I also realized that the cartridges are about come apart so I just replaced them with new cartridges. However, there was no drop in pressure and I’m sitting with a reading of about 32. The skimmers are cleaned several times a week and are clear at the moment. The pump basket is clean etc.

So my question is this…….

Is this a problem and if so, what do I need to look at in order to resolve it? Are my skimmer lines clogged up? They seem to be working ok.

Thanks for any help.

First thing is to check the gauge. For about 8 bucks you can get a new one and it takes about 2 minutes to replace the old one. For about 15-20 bucks, you can get a liquid filled gauge that is FAR superior.

I know of no way to verify the gauge is working correctly (it does drop to zero when the pump is off, right?) other than to replace it.

32 psi is too high and you need to get the issue fixed.

There are two things that might be happening. First, pool pressure gauges are not all that well made and tend to drift a bit. Second, about once a year it is a good idea to soak the cartridge overnight in detergent to give it a deep cleaning. Rinse the cartridge off normally, soak overnight in a mixture of once cup of powdered automatic dishwasher detergent for every five gallons of water, rinse the cartridge again, and replace in the filter. This deep cleaning will generally restore the pressure to at least close to the original pressure.

It is less common, but it is also possible for calcium scale to develop on the filter. When this happens it is fairly easy to spot, look for brittle white chalky deposits on the filter fabric after a normal rinse off cleaning.

duraleigh said:
First thing is to check the gauge. For about 8 bucks you can get a new one and it takes about 2 minutes to replace the old one. For about 15-20 bucks, you can get a liquid filled gauge that is FAR superior.

I know of no way to verify the gauge is working correctly (it does drop to zero when the pump is off, right?) other than to replace it..

I'll look for a liquid filled gauge. Are these standard sizes? I'm assuming I should be able to find one at the local pool store?

The gauge does drop back to zero when everything is off. I just tested that. I also noticed that there was a bit of air in the system. I purged all the air yesterday after replacing the cartridges. Is this indicative of another problem?

JasonLion said:
There are two things that might be happening. First, pool pressure gauges are not all that well made and tend to drift a bit. Second, about once a year it is a good idea to soak the cartridge overnight in detergent to give it a deep cleaning. Rinse the cartridge off normally, soak overnight in a mixture of once cup of powdered automatic dishwasher detergent for every five gallons of water, rinse the cartridge again, and replace in the filter. This deep cleaning will generally restore the pressure to at least close to the original pressure.

It is less common, but it is also possible for calcium scale to develop on the filter. When this happens it is fairly easy to spot, look for brittle white chalky deposits on the filter fabric after a normal rinse off cleaning.

I will get a new gauge

I actually purchased new cartrdiges and replaced the old ones yesterday. There was no real change in pressure.

If the pressure remains at 32 or so, you have a restriction somewhere on the pressure side of your system. It'll take some detective work and you'll need to be methodical but we can help you find it.

If the psi really is 32 you should not have much flow coming out of your returns.....is that the case?

duraleigh said:
If the pressure remains at 32 or so, you have a restriction somewhere on the pressure side of your system. It'll take some detective work and you'll need to be methodical but we can help you find it.

If the psi really is 32 you should not have much flow coming out of your returns.....is that the case?

I won't be able to verify this until tomorrow but I do know that the returns seemed to be flowing ok. I could see a ripple on the surface above them like normal. If one or more seem to be restricted should I run a snake up the return or is there a better way to break a clog in the return lines?

Return lines shouldn't clog with debris as long as the filter is working properly and even if the filter was allowing some debris past, it really shouldn't clog the return lines. What usually causes a return side blockage is the failure of a check valve or even return valves in the wrong position. Have you made any changes to the plumbing before this started to occur?

mas985 said:
Return lines shouldn't clog with debris as long as the filter is working properly and even if the filter was allowing some debris past, it really shouldn't clog the return lines. What usually causes a return side blockage is the failure of a check valve or even return valves in the wrong position. Have you made any changes to the plumbing before this started to occur?

No changes have been made to the plumbing. I will check the valves and make sure they have not been moved.

Can a clog on the suction side cause the pressure to be high at the filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. I checked the valves and they are in the correct position. No changes there. I then checked each return (with my hand) and the pressure feels good and more or less the same at each return. I also removed the cleaner from it's return line and it seems to be flowing ok also.

I have noticed over the last 3 or days that the pressure has dropped a bit each of those days and now sits about 29 to 30 instead of 32. I don't exactly know why. Maybe when I receive the new gauge (mid week) I'll have a better understanding of what's happening there.

One last thing. I noticed in the hose that attaches my cleaner to the return that the filter was a bit dirty. This is pretty common with the trees etc in the yard. I usually check it at least once a week. However, I found something strange in it. This may be unrelated but I thought I would throw it out there. I noticed small pieces of something that looks like white plastic. They were maybe an inch or so long and very small diameter. Like a small cable price of copper wire but plastic. Would this be coming from some of my equipment? Maybe it's just a fluke and something strange blew into the pool. It has been very windy lately.

So, anyway, I guess I'm still waiting on the new gauge and will go from there.

FUN FUN FUN...........

Here's a picture of the cleaners filter with the plastic pieces in it.
http://s957.beta.photobucket.com/user/mpride63/media/IMG_1834.jpg.html

Post filter, you shouldn't be getting any debris so it could be from the plumbing but since you replaced failing cartridges, something might have gotten past the filter before you changes out the cartridges. Did you clean the cleaner filter after replacing the cartridges?

mas985 said:
Post filter, you shouldn't be getting any debris so it could be from the plumbing but since you replaced failing cartridges, something might have gotten past the filter before you changes out the cartridges. Did you clean the cleaner filter after replacing the cartridges?

Yeah. The day I replaced the cartridges I cleaned everything at the same time including the cleaner filter. The cartridges I replaced weren't in terrible shape but I knew I'd probably be replacing after the swimming season this year so I just went ahead and did it to see if there would be a pressure drop.

I looked at the picture and the plastic pieces look like brush bristles from a pool brush. I get those in my filter when the pool brush starts to fall apart. Why they got through the filter, I don't know but you might check the cartridges and see if the seated properly. That could also cause higher pressure if they are not.

mas985 said:
I looked at the picture and the plastic pieces look like brush bristles from a pool brush. I get those in my filter when the pool brush starts to fall apart. Why they got through the filter, I don't know but you might check the cartridges and see if the seated properly. That could also cause higher pressure if they are not.

I'll bet thats exactly what they are. I'll check the cartridges in a bit. That would be nice if that was the problem. Thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Ok. I think I know why the bristles were in teh cleaners filter. When I replaced the cartridges I put everything back in service for about 5 minutes before I realized I forgot to place the top plastic form on top of the cartridges. Thats probably why that happened.

Anyway,
I installed the new gauge and its showing 26. Should I still be concerned that the pressure is this high with everything being clean and ready to go?

I noticed that you have a 2 speed pump. What happens when you switch to slow speed. What is the pressure?
What plumbing size do you have and the total run/length? e.g 2" , 50 feet?
Can you take a picture of your equipment pad?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.