Liners for new AGP

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
Still working on the perfect equipment for our upcoming install.

Any opinions on which type of liner is best? Overlap, beaded or unibead?

I haven't ordered anything yet, but unless I change my mind (again) it will be a 28' Matrix, Pentair SD80 filter, Pentair 1 hp/2spd pump, Intellichlor ic40 saltwater generator.

Some guy at a local pool shop told me I needed an overlap liner if I was going to install a saltwater system. Of course, overlap liners is the only thing they sell... So, any truth to that or is it just salesman BS?

Uh....what?? No you do not have to have an overlap liner if you install a SWG. The only reason I could think that would be the case is because of the corrosion that salt water might cause to the pool wall if it got trapped in between the liner and the wall. But really any of the 3 types would be good. The beaded liner....might...let more water in between itself and the wall. Here is what I ask my customers when they are trying to decide on a liner type:
1) How much do you want to spend on a liner? (Overlap liners are half as expensive as the other two types, as are the liner clips to hold it into place)
2) Do you care about liner pattern choices? (Beaded and uni-bead liners come in a wider variety of patterns, and look more like an in ground pool liner than the overlap)
3) Are you going to build a deck around the pool? (If so I would recommend a beaded liner because, when you go to change the liner in the future you will have to take the upper part of the pool apart (if you have an overlap), and depending on how close your deck is to the pool, you may have to take the deck apart as well. With a beaded liner there is no need to take the pool apart unless you have a broken bead track somewhere)

Also, a unibead liner an be used as a beaded liner or an overlap (or J hook liner), you will simply have to cut the j hook off when installing if you want to us it as a beaded.

Yea, the local pool salesman led me to believe using a beaded liner would lead to corrosion from the saltwater.
I really prefer the look of the beaded liners, but certainly don't want any corrosion issues.

Then I would compromise with a unibead liner. Just use the j-hooks to install it over the pool wall. They have neat patterns like the beaded, but can provide more protection against water getting to the pool wall.

That's pretty funny: "Ohh, you have to install liner style X (which is all we sell) because the others will corrode".
That's absolutely ridiculous, personally with advice like that I woudn't trust anything else the guy says, clearly his main concern it to sell you stuff - certainly don't bring your water there for testing.

Nothing wrong with an overlap liner except that you can see some of the overlap from the outside of the pool so it's not quite as clean of a look, but I believe they are the cheapest liner so if price is the main concern go with overlap.
I have a unibead liner and it went up quite well, I'm happy with the installation and the pattern. Unibead is a pretty common liner style.

PJ, great information for the future when I go to a "real" pool. I know it was confusing when I looked at all the different types. Nothing I read explained it as well as you just did. Thanks.

And I would be very careful when dealing with that pool store......certainly get your own test kit and don't depend on them for anything....

Bob E.

Thanks all.
I'll be buying all the equipment online so I won't be dealing with the local pool store. It's been very interesting. In my research preparing for the purchase of this pool, I've communicated with 10-15 different pool "experts", both local pool stores and online. Their information has all been different, which is very confusing for a first time pool buyer. I've determined that you guys are the only ones I really trust for valid information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.