Surface Returns and In-Floor Cleaning System

AZHeat

Feb 7, 2013
What's the consensus of having surface returns with an in-floor cleaning system? Are they necessary? Details: Paramount PV3 in-floor system w/17 heads, Diving Pool depth is 3.5-8. Surface area 514 sf, 102 perimeter, 38x16 freeform. Pump is VS3050. Builder says surface returns are not necessary. I'm not convinced that the in-floor will be enough to circulate surface water especially on the deep end. Seems like a small area to skimp on. Granted, one half of the pool wall is exposed. Due to slope of the lot, one half of the pool is exposed from 0-26" so I'm not sure of the logistics of putting in surface returns. Any advice is appreciated.

I vote get them. Offers an alternative to maintain circulation if there is a problem with the floor system.

Edit to clarify, the wall returns should be separate from the floor system with a 3 way valve to select them ... not a part of the system through the manifold.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

AZHeat said:
JimboAZ said:
Check out my old post here --> do-we-need-returns-t55061.html

Thanks for the reply and the link, but there wasn't anu definitive information in that thread; just debate about whether an in-floor was better than a robot. I do want the surface returns but am getting push back from PB. Sounds like maybe we have the same PB?

Yeah, not much useful except that it seems like a good idea. Our PB (Presidential) didn't have a problem adding the returns as long as we paid for them. It was pretty cheap so we went for it. They would've added them to the in floor cleaning manifold if there was space (for free) but as jblizzle said it's better to have them independent. We also added a dedicated suction line.

I would pass on the paramount and just do a robot. Have sold and installed paramount and wish I wouldn't of, not that great of a system. Not sure why 17 heads that might be itsonly saving grace enough heads to make it work

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.