Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Currently have a 2 HP A.O. Smith, it was left outside for 2 winters when I bought the house last summer. When I first hooked it up, it leaked terribly, though I was able to take apart and replace gaskets and actually get it going and it got me through last season. However, it makes an intermittent kind of high pitched winding noise which I assume is the bearing about to go.

Also, I seem to have had a very minor suction side leak I could never quite locate, nothing bad, but just enough to be irritating at times. And lastly, the power cord appears to have been cut and repaired (pig tail) by the previous owner, it works, but a section is under about 2 rolls of electrical tape and it is really short, which meant I had to move the whole thing further away from the pool so it would reach the outlet, and hence run longer plumb lines, maybe about 8 feet from the pool, and cutting right in front of the deck stairs. Not ideal.

So, with all of that, I would like a fresh start and get a whole new pump. I think I want a 2 speed given the energy savings, our electric rates are supposed to be 7.00 per kwh according to the city website, and due to renegotiations are supposed to drop to 4.54, though neither of these figures are entirely consistent with my actual bill.

Other considerations:
I vacuum manually, but don't plan to do so forever (found a kontiki in the pool house that seems to be missing parts, maybe I'll try and use it this year)
I am pondering adding solar panels this year, but maybe not, I may not have a good location for them
At some point I may add a heater if decided I can't get solar to work

2 HP seems overkill given my set up, would a 2 speed 1 HP be sufficient for current and potential future uses I mention above?

Can someone throw out a few brands and/models I should further research?

Thank you as always!

The first thing I'd ask is what size is that filter?

I like the Dynamo pumps, but that's what I have and one of those in a 1 hp 2-speed should be plenty for your pool, even after you add the solar. Pretty much anything in the 1 hp 2-speed size is going to be ok.

Bama,

Model # for the cartridge is CC1500, and it says effective filtration area 150 square feet.

Does that provide the size? Would it provide better info to put one of those items in my sig?

Thanks for the input guys, seems like there are not a whole lot to sort through for an AGP with my situation, which I like. Strongly leaning towards the 2 speed, 1 HP dynamo, which I see Christian has on Pool Supply World.

Christian - I noticed that that particular pump on your site explicitly states that it is without cord. Why is that? Or more importantly, is this something I simply purchase separately at the length I need? Also, is this pump programmable? Are there any other things I need to check to ensure that it will be compatible with my current system, so I know I can just plug and play when I get it? Feel free to PM me if easier or more appropriate.

Bama - Can you educate me? Why do you say the filter is on the small side for my pool? I ask because the manual indicates that it filters 48,000 gallons every 8 hours which is 2+ turns. Is there a multiplier I would use for the 150 sq foot that converts it to a particular pool volume? Filter definitely did the job and I never had to clean it during season, though I also have a pretty low bather load. Just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

Generally you would use the existing cord from your current pump though you can also just buy a new cord in whatever length you need. That pump is not programmable you would want to get a dual speed timer as well. Pumps are pretty plug and play other than maybe needing to adjust your piping if it is PVC.

From the Hydraulics 101 sticky:

Filter Sizing

The following table is derived from the ANSI/NSF 50 Specifications for public pools and shows the minimum recommended filter size based upon the specifications maximum GPM/Sq-Ft for each filter type. These requirements are shown in the APSP-15 standard and are now being adopted as regulations by many states for both public and residential pools.

FilterSize.jpg

In some cases, the minimum filter size will be dictated by the pump maximum flow rate rather than the pool size so both must be taken into account. The filter sizes are determined from a 6 hour turnover so even if an 8 hour turnover is targeted, the filter sizes would still be appropriate and have an extra 25% margin. Also, increasing the size of the filter beyond what is shown in the table is generally a good idea and will minimize the number of cleanings per season.

Christian - I definitely need a new cord, the one on my current pump was cut and then spliced back together by the previous owner so it is really short and I have no idea if he even knew what he was doing. New cord will allow me to put the filter back where it should next to the pool.

Mark - thanks for sharing that, very informative. Am I misinterpreting what my filter user's manual is saying or is the 48,000 gallons every 8 hours simply based on completely unrealistic assumptions for marketing purposes?

Ratings have changed over the years and now most manufactures are rating their filters to the APSP-15 requirements because many states require it. If you were to look up a 150 sq-ft cartridge filter on Hayward's, site it would state the new requirements.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.