Globrites vs Intellibrites (Pentair Lighting)

dperque

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2013
Austin, TX
My PB is looking to use Globrites on my pool despite me originally stating I wanted the Intellibrite 5G LEDs -he says given my main pool area depth 3.5-5' and dimensions 11X20, 2 globrites should be just fine.

These new lights from Pentair appear to be for "shallow applications" like shelves and steps - there's no doubt they're less bright, easier to install and cheaper overall (price and quality). And they've only been out for a year or so (so no telling how many are failing or about to fail).

Needless to say I'm pushing back hard on my original request. Am I being unreasonable?

here is the design -
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8btUmU ... 96VUk/edit

I'm thinking 1 5G Pool, 1 5G spa and 1 Globrite for the 8-9" shelf area.

Thanks.

It is more a question of what kind of lighting effect you want. Two IntelliBrite lights will be much brighter than two GloBrite lights and give a much more dramatic effect, but two GloBrite lights will be enough to light up the pool.

The GloBrite is a smaller light with lower power, but there are no indications that it is lower quality. They are fairly new, so we don't know for sure, but Pentair has a fairly good track record with lights and problems are unlikely.

Thanks. I have the Pentair guy calling me about this.

I think I'm just more irked that I explicitly called out the Intellibrites (I didn't know globrites existed) and he's simply changing it do a less expensive product. Maybe he can do 3 in the pool, 1 shelf, 1 spa and it'll be ok. The reality is no one knows what they're looking for WRT pool lighting brightness - and I think it's safe to assume the LED-based lights are going to provide less intensity than the older halogens so the thought of going another step down to a 3-led light fixture just seems like it will be inadequate.

So I went with the 4 Glo-Brites and 2 failed w/in the first week. They were promptly replaced and poor packaging was to blame (cracks let in water). But so far I'm pretty happy with the light output and colors. I have them come on at night for an hour when we're most likely to be sitting out and having a drink and don't think twice about the energy they consume.

What I do find odd is the spa light is always a different color than the pool lights - I don't know how they're wired, but I don't think that's how they're supposed to work. I like it and it's become more of a "feature" so no complaints, but it is rather odd.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.