Current Test Numbers and Upcoming Vacation

Sciz Milson

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 13, 2012
Hello everyone.

The pool has been filled now for a couple of weeks. I have been working to get the water balance in line. As of this morning, here are the values:

FC - 3.5 (still using liquid bleach - SWG is not yet operational - added this morning to raise to 4)
CC - .5
ph - 7.2 (have been aerating for 3 days to get this up - it's been slow)
TA - 110 (waiting to bring this down a bit once ph rises)
CYA - 30 (added stabilizer this morning to push this up to 40)
CH - 260 (this was from a previous test done 3 days ago).
Water clarity - good

My question is this. I am going on vacation for a week starting next Tuesday. I have a good neighbor who can help with chemical additions, but I don't want to burden him with daily tests and dosing. Weather should be in the 60's with an occasional chance of rain. Can anyone recommend a good starting course of action that can help me keep the water in order for the duration of my trip with only moderate attention?

I thank you in advance for your thoughts/comments/suggestions.

Best,

Sciz

Your best bet is to figure out an amount of bleach for your neighbor to add each day. Make it be a little higher than what you have been adding recently yourself, to give some safety margin. That will use a little more bleach that you would have used yourself, but otherwise should work out well for about a week. Also, stop aerating before you leave, so the PH won't have any chance of getting to high.

Your numbers look good plus low temps play into your favor. I'd simply raise your pool to shock level (around 15FC) and have him add 128oz of 6% bleach after about 4 days. This should keep enough chlorine to keep the green away.

Any chance you have a solar cover?? If so, bring it to shock and cover the pool. Forget about it at that point.

Either way keep the pump running as much as you can and retest when you return.

Thanks for the quick reply - I am losing about .5 - 1 ppm daily fairly consistently so that should be an easy calculation.

I hope to have the ph dialed in before the weekend, finish dropping the TA and aerate back up to normal levels before the trip so I can get the aerator off the return.

btw - for all who have posted pics of their aerator a big thanks - I spent exactly $3.15 for the materials based on the ideas/pics provided.

Best,

Sciz

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.