replace pipe before paver patio, step replacement options

Mar 8, 2013
Sayville, NY
A little background first. We purchased our house in November as a short sale. We knew the house was in disrepair, but we also knew the neighbor who said he watched them use the pool all summer and they closed the pool correctly. Fast forward to this week. We are about to break ground on a new 1500 sq. ft. paver patio install around the pool. We were told to get the lines pressure tested before the install and they came today. They uncovered the pool and the water was clear with just a bunch of leaves and a coating of dirt on the walls and bottom. The filter came on fine and the pressure testing was done and said to be fine. Here is where we ran into problems.

He inspected the pipe running to the pool and while it is PVC by the pump system, it is white flexible pipe going under the current deck to the skimmers and jets. THe pool guy recommended that we replace it as he said it was an inferior product to black pipe and is prone to pin hole leaking. The pool is a little over 10 years old and I want to do this the correct way, so is he telling me the truth about the piping? Is it something I need to worry about?? I would hate to have to rip up the patio later to repair a leak due to this.

I also just wanted to get this out there. THe pool opened fine and everything seemed good. I started vacuuming it and getting some of the junk up. Then I ran out to the store and when I came back, the level was down under the skimmers! I turned off the pump and started to inspect. It looks like the liner more or less shattered. in under 3 hours, the level is down to the bottom of the shallow end! There are 10 foot rips and tears all over the place. Called the company up and they came by the estimate a liner replacement. All and all, they estimated $12k to replace the liner ($2700 ), do the plumbing ($2200), replace the 2 skimmers, replace the stairs ($3000!! REally???) and replace the coping with extrusions($450). Since we are very close to the water, there is a 2500 fee to "de-waterize" the pool as they install the liner since the deep end is most likely below the water table. I almost had to run and change my shorts. I was expecting a price of about $4000 or so, but the stairs were cracked and starting to bubble and the skimmers are only $900 for the 2. I passed on replacing the light as they quoted $1000 for that. We are getting 2 more estimates tomorrow and hoping for better!!

Re: Pool company recommends replacing pipe before paver pati

His point about the flex pipe is fairly valid. It is simply not as reliable as solid PVC. Seems easy enough to do it while you are doing the new decking anyway.

I don't know enough of the scope of the work to have an opinion on the other issues. You'll probably get more insight when others bid. Ask LOTS of questions of them.

Re: Pool company recommends replacing pipe before paver pati

I would get lots of bids. The liner replacement seems about right but the rest seems a little high.

As for the flex pipe, I'm taking a little different tack than the other Dave. If it's flex PVC it isn't to bad and since you're putting in a paver deck it's not like tearing up concrete if it did leak in the future. You can remove the pavers, repair the leak and replace the pavers without a lot of work.

One part of your statement bothers me. "he said it was an inferior product to black pipe" If he really did say that I'd ask what black pipe he's referring to. Black pipe is most always Polyethylene and IMO PVC of any type is superior to it.

As for the water table issue, You should have a wellpoint near the pool deep end. If you could contact the previous owners they can probably tell you where it is. If it's there you can put a submersible pump in it and keep the water pumped out and save a lot of that $2500 de-watering fee.

Replacing liner and steps. Only given one option for steps.

We have to get our liner replaced in our IG 16x32 pool. We currently have drop in fiberglass (not sure of the material) steps that have a few cracks and bubbles in them. The pool company said that we should replace the steps at the same time because if the steps fail in the next couple of years, we will have the replace the liner once again. He quoted us $3000 to put in steps that will be covered with the liner. They will also be able to have the same coping we are installing in our patio go over them instead of having that huge white lip of the current fiberglass stairs. This company is not doing the mason work so that is not included in the installation.

Are there any other options for steps that will still look good but may not cost as much? I believe the steps are just 6 feet wide and have 4 steps going down to the shallow end. They have the standard 8" treads and the new steps will have much larger 16 or 18 inch steps to allow use of the steps as a wading area instead of just being steps.

Thanks in advance for your help and I am sorry for my newness, but we were not planning on replacing the liner but when the pool was opened and the pump turned on, all the water drained out (after it stayed in there all winter) and massive cracks and tears were found in the liner.

Re: Replacing liner and steps. Only given one option for st

They can't just replace them with the same type of drop in steps? I am pretty sure I've seen other liner pools where only the steps were replaced without having to redo the liner.

Re: Replacing liner and steps. Only given one option for st

zea3 said:
They can't just replace them with the same type of drop in steps? I am pretty sure I've seen other liner pools where only the steps were replaced without having to redo the liner.
Yeah, I thought the same thing and did question him. He said that if we ever had a problem with them in the future we would have to pull out the liner to replace them so it wasn't worth it in the long run. He never really confirmed or denied I could get NEW fiberglass stairs and only spoke about liner stairs. He more or less skirted the issue and only gave me the one option.

Re: replace pipe before paver patio, step replacement option

Bama Rambler said:
Can you post a few pics of the pool especially the step area? That may help.
Here are some pictures.

We did get another quote from a company my mason recommended and it came in substantially lower. They can replace the stairs with standard fiberglass stairs so I do think we will go with that instead. They did say the old stairs could be used, but it would have the old school look around the top instead of having the bullnose going over the lip of the stairs. They said my mason 'could' cut the stairs and put the bullnose over them, but I am not sure how i feel about that. Though the fiberglass stairs are $3500!! :(

Here are the current stairs and the shattered liner!

Attachments

• IMG_3015.JPG
    IMG_3015.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3016.JPG
    IMG_3016.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3017.JPG
    IMG_3017.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 41
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.