Pump Choice Headache

May 3, 2008
rock springs, wi
Wow, I am completely stalled in trying to choose a pump for a new 18x33 AGP. There seems to be some difference of opinion on whether you can use an inground pump on an AGP. Since I have to narrow the many choices anyway, and do not want to have to second guess myself in the future, I have decided to consider only pumps specifially designed for AGP (as stated by manufacturer).

But, now what. I am hoping to avoid having to completely comprehend the hydraulics 101 and choosing a pump stickies. From what I understand so far, it appears that AGP have an approximate head pressure of about 30 feet, and I need a 1/2 hp pump to turn over the water (appr. 14,500 gallons) once in 8 hours, assuming appr. 30 gpm min flow and 42 gpm max (from the 22" sand filter). I am also assuming I will be using 1 1/2" flexible pipes. I also plan to have solar panels mounted at ground level.

Energy efficiency (operating costs) is a primary concern so I am looking to stay wih these smaller pumps. Will they have enough power to operate the cleaners, or will I need a 2 speed pump? I don't seem to be able to find any 1/2hp 2-speed pumps. I have found some 3/4hp 2 speed pumps, but off hand I do not recall if they are for ABP's.

Can anyone just recommend some 1/2 hp pumps for AGP? Is the Pentair Dynamo a decent pump? Hayward makes a Powerflo pump that does not list the hp, but simply states it is 40 gpm. I am not sure why they classify this pump differently from the others.

Thanks in advance.

For a AGP, I would probably go with the smallest pump possible so I think the 1/2 HP would be fine. I don't have enough experience with AGP pumps to recommend a brand although I think Pentair makes very good pumps all around so that should be a good choice. They do make a two speed 3/4 HP uprated Dynamo (same as 1/2 HP full rated) shown here which would probably meet all your requirements.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the main difference between an IG and AG pump that AG pumps are gravity fed, so they have a hard time pulling suction when starting on an IG pool where the water level is often below the pump? An IG pump should work just fine on an AG pool. Pool water is pool water :)

Rangeball said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the main difference between an IG and AG pump that AG pumps are gravity fed, so they have a hard time pulling suction when starting on an IG pool where the water level is often below the pump? An IG pump should work just fine on an AG pool. Pool water is pool water :)

That's true. However, IG pumps also tend to have much higher service factors than above ground pumps so you really have to be careful when using aj IG pump on a AG pool otherwise it is very easy to oversize the pump. The AG pumps are nice in that they come in smaller BHP sizes than IG so it is easier to get a smaller pump that is more appropriate for the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.