Pressure gauge on old Sta Rite filter

Kwikee

Feb 13, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
The filter our pool is a Sta Rite sand filter, model number is w-9463005-1, and the pressure gauge is stuck on 25. I'm guessing this filter is really old since I can't find any information on it. Are gauges generic fit and can I just unscrew this one and replace it with a new one?
Also, given it is likely very old, I've read about replacing sand. When the pool is balanced, it keeps it really clean but I notice that if I vacuum to the filter, then backwash, rinse and return to filter, the pool goes very cloudy. I backwash until the water though the glass sight bottle is clear then rinse for 10-20 seconds, then return to filter, but it will guarantee cloud the pool every time. Is any of this an indication that sand needs replacing, or should I be doing something else?

Filters gauges here in the us are pretty standard at 1/4" npt but I am not sure about down under. I would guess they are.

Are you shutting off the pump before changing filter positions? Make sure you are.

You may need to rinse a little longer to remove the cloudiness.

Another possibility is your spider gasket could be worn out allowing stuff to bypass the filter on restart.

Re: Pressure gauge on old Sta Rite filter, mine reads the sa

I have exactly the same vintage Sta-Rite model 9463005-1 high rate sand filter and the pressure gauge on the threaded cap also reads 25psig on a continuous basis.

I agree that I have not been able to find any mfr information on this old sand filter (late 1970s or early 1980s). Were they bought by Pentair?

This 30"diameter filter has a screw cap on top like a Triton with a Hayward Vari-Flo on the side pipes. I would like to screw open the cap but before I attempt it (no hex key) I would like to have a replacement O-ring and cap on hand.

Do any of you pool experts know specifically which web site can tell me about this filter for spare parts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.