starting out with our new pool

Hi! We are moving into our new house this weekend and I had a chance to run over there today and quickly test chlorine and ph. First off, the pool water still looks very nice and clean. It is clear and fresh looking. The realtor had a pool guy coming weekly and it's been about 2 wks since his last visit.

I tested today and got these results:

pool:

FC = 1
TC = 2
TC - FC = combined chlor of 1

spa:

FC = 2
TC = 2
TC - FC = combined chlor of 0

ph for both pool and spa is 8.2

The pool has an automatic chlorine feeder so where do I go from here? Do I then add chlorine to that? Does the chlorine being low mean it's time to add/replace something?

Also when we had home inspection we were shown a leak at a pump. I don't even know which pump it is. The previous pool guy is coming over to give us a quote on fixing the leak (and more likely because he wants to sales pitch us on continuing to care for the pool.) Do you think a pool guy is the best person to fix this type of leak? Around how much would a repair like that cost? Do they usually charge by the hour plus parts?

Also one more Q - the pool has one of those roomba type things that roves around the bottom. Does that replace the need to brush the pool weekly? I saw that the previous owners had some pool care items hanging on the wall and one is like a long broom so I'm assuming that is to brush the sides and bottom.

Thanks for the help! We are trying to get back to the pool tomorrow then we'll be in the house permanently after Saturday.

Oh and weather -- it has been 40s at night and high 70s during the day. It'll be in the 80s later this week. It rained for a few days last week maybe an inch total over 2-3 days. Pool is not covered but we bought a solar cover (the blue bubble wrap looking stuff) but haven't cut to fit or put it on yet.

Since we have an automatic chlorine feeder but the chlorine is low, does that mean it is time to add a new tablet? And if the level is low enough to need to shock, should I not just go ahead and add a new tablet? This is all totally new to me and I am trying to understand how all of this works. I don't know when the last time a tablet was added or how often these things need to be put in.

And if the level is low enough to need to shock, should I not just go ahead and add a new tablet?
Thew low chlorine level does not mean you need to shock. Do not add any more tablets until you find out your CYA.

Plan on adding some liquid chlorine but you really should help us with the rest of your tests before you do anything else.

I would also add that to take control of the pool, you need to learn about the chemistry and the chemicals. Spend some time reading through Pool School (button at the upper right of the page). Likely it will take a few times, but quickly you understand and be much more comfortable in your control of the pool.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

One last comment.....do you have a test kit. You can purchase on via this website that helps support the site and it's a very good one for a reasonable price. In order to really do a good job keeping your pool you absolutely need to have a proper test kit. Reading Pool School will make that obvious.

Get the test kit and start enjoying a wonderful pool experience. Don't allow anyone else tell you what you need for your pool, with Pool School knowledge and that TF-100 test kit, you will know exactly what your pool needs yourself.

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.