My backyard 2.0 - another Baltimore pool build.

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
So, we signed the contract with Elite pools yesterday - let the fun begin!

Here are the specs of the pool to be:

16x32 rectangular gunite, shelf and bench at the shallow end, two benches at the deep end, 6.6' at the deep end.
14” bond beam construction with keyway notch system, 6"x6" structural spacing reinforcement.
Gravel base with hydrostatic relieve valves
12” Coping stone (probably EP Henry pavers, haven't decided yet)
6" waterline tile with tile trim on steps (haven't decided on style yet)
DiamondBrite plaster
All 2" sched 40 piping, with Jandy neverlube valves, 2 pressure guages (in/out flow)
3 jets with dedicated returns,
2 skimmers
AVCS drain
All plumbing runs independent, not tees.
Stub out for future water features.
2 deck jets
Undertrack automatic pool cover by Cover-Pools
2 Intellibright LED lights
Jandy E-series variable spped pump
Jandy CV cartridge filter
In-line automatic tablet chlorinator (will upgrade to salt system at a later date)
Aqualink PDA control system
Prep for future heat pump (want to see how we'll do with auto cover for the first year).
Polaris 3900 sport robotic cleaner with Polaris Pb4-60 booster pump (on dedicated plumbing)
maintenance kit including manual vacuum, hand skimmer, pool brush, test kit, thermometer and two 16’-0” telescoping poles, safety ropes, startup chemicals.
Grading and Haulaway
Water
Electrical (200 linear feet, 50amp panel, GFCI breakers for each motor)
All permits
Decking and retaining wall, we haven't finilized yet.

Elite is promising me a Memorial Day delivery (we'll see). I'll be posting the pics and progress updates as the build progresses. Wish me luck!

Can we get a backyard 1.0 pic to whet our appetite?!

Azmp1 said:
So, we signed the contract with Elite pools yesterday - let the fun begin!
Has the fun begun? Hopefully Mark is treating you well.

Hi, Oh yes. But many delays due to the messed up weather we had... I've been taking all the pictures along the way its just the matter of finding tht time to do a nice summary thread. Hopefully another week or so and everything is done and i will post up!

Hey AZMP1,
I'm an original B'mer. Early childhood near Sinai Hospital, then family moved to Pikesville/Randallstown area in the early 1960's. Then I moved to NYC, then Los Angeles, now S. FL.
Where are you in the B'more area?
I hope your pool construction is going well.
We're all looking forward to your photos, AZMP1!!

Hi Alan, We're in Owings Mills! Used to live in the city in early 90's but been out in suburbs for many years now.

In the mean time, a little about backyard 1.0:)
When we bought our house 10 years ago, we were "lucky" to have your typical, basic back yard setup. A deck and a whole lot of grass :) About 3 years in and after taking care of of the inside remodeling we wanted to do it was the time to start on the back yeard. The plan was simple - Sunroom and a patio.

Here are the picks i took this past fall as we started to prep for the pool. This is around Novemeber time so all the furniture is already put away. The steps in the middle of the retaining wall was always for an idea of a future pool :)

IMG_1124-vi.jpg

IMG_1125-vi.jpg

IMG_1127-vi.jpg

IMG_1128-vi.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I live in the Baltimore area too and swim in my pool at least 3 days a week. Don't bother with a heater, if you open your pool in early April you'll be surprised how warm the water will get. I had a heater and removed it and sold it after the first 2 years. Definitely purchase a chlorine generator the savings are worth it and it helps with keeping you PH balanced.If you take care of it it will last for years. I still have my original Uni Chlor 600. Good luck hope the weather clears up for you.

Your area must be different than central IL. Around here if you didn't run a heater at all, most likely the water won't be above 75 until late May.

Love the hardscape! Can't wait to see the pool.

I like the main drain that Elite uses. Looks like you have good equipment/plumbing specs. We too have no heater but did allow for future solar should we be interested. How many hours of full sun will your pool get? Ours gets 10 hours of full sun and with our gray plaster, I've be surprised how well it warms up. In fact, yesterday the pool was 87 degrees. The water was 70 degrees when it was filled on 5/21 while it was not hot yet. Then the 90's from the weekend after Memorial Day weekend were warming it 4 degrees a day to the low 80's. Then back to 80 when it cooled back down now way up with the hot weather. Our autocover is a charcoal color but we have been using it here and there. How you use an autocover is interesting regarding all the time, some, none, open when it rains/closed when it storm or vice versa. Lots of different ways to do it all with different considerations. One note from the cover installers was during a storm, if furniture were to blow onto it and rip it, that would be a whole lot more trouble (and $) than just cleaning out the debris. Then using the cover pump and it's idiosyncrasies.

One question though, I see that you have a 50 amp panel going by the pool, but you also mention that you are prepping for a future heat pump. Wouldn't a heat pump require more than a 50 amp panel by the pool? We discussed prepping for a heat pump and if we did they were going to run wire for a 100 amp panel. We have 80 amps but I thought it was going to be 50-70. Maybe they are running bigger wire to handle a bigger breaker but only installing a lower main panel breaker initially.

I too like the layout in your backyard for the pool location and the other amenities already in place. Good luck on the home stretch here. Our home stretch has been stretched out. Maybe we'll get a final inspection soon!

Looking forward to see your portfolio of construction progress when you have time...trust me, I understand the time issue.

Thank you all for the good words, doing the sunroom and pation was definitely worth the $$$ and seen much use of the years.

On the heating... having the cover is also a reason i'm not doing the heater this year, want to see how it goes. So far (since Saturday's water fill) and with no cover installed yet, i like the temp results, we only saw pretty much one 90+ day that was sunny most of the day and the temp was up to 82. Since and up to day, much rain (ugggghhhh!!!) and temps in the 80's the pools still maintaning around 78-79. Can't wait for some hot days!

As for the heating options, i meant to say in my initial post "prep for future gas heater" rather then heat pump as Bmoreswim (love your build!) you're completely correct, i don't have enough juice for the heat pump. However......... i'm starting to re-think the gas heater option. So maybe back to the heat pump. Running additional 50amp cirquit and a line for the heat pump won't be an issue and i have enough service left in my main panel. Buddy of mine got the heat pump installed in may, running it pretty much all the time to keep the temp around 85-86 and his bill was only about $75 more a month. We're not really planning to extend the season anywhere out of May-September window, so i think the Gas Heater may just be an overkill and from what i gather it will still be more expensive to run even if it has to run for shorter periods of time than the heat pump, not mention i will need to have the gas line ran and my meter upgraded. Quote i got was $2k, whereas i can do all the electrical prep for the heat pump myself. So really its just a cost of the cable and permit there.
Another option i looked into was Propain, that's actually doesn't sound bad even though its more expensive than Natural gas. I spoke with Amerigas and they quoted me $600, that included two full tanks and a complete install and hookup. Pretty Dang good, and i don't even have to buy the tanks as they will be supplied at no cost as long as i get on their auto refil schedule.
We'll see, i have this whole summer to make a decision :)

Just hope these Dang rains will end sometime this century!!! Finally started on the retaining wall and a deck today, these guys work quick, pretty much half done in one day even with a huge thunderstorm and puring rain at 3pm. The're comming back on Saturday to finish up. Hopefully, early next week, auto cover, then the week after 4th of July Landscaping, Fence and a FINAL INSPECTION! Will be over a month late from the original plan (can't really blame the builder, considering this crappy, wet spring we had), but still plenty of summer left ahead! :)))

I'll try to get all the pics up next week or so.

btw, these were the final options we decided on (whats different from the orignal list above)

12” Coping stone - Decided on blue stone instread of paver coping. Loving the blue stone!
6" waterline tile with tile trim on steps - Decided on Oasis Turquoise Mirage waterline and Nubula Rust glass accent tile from NPT.
DiamondBrite plaster - Decided on DiamondBrite Perl.
2 deck jets - Decided not to do. Water feuture will be enough.
Undertrack automatic pool cover by Cover-Pools
Aqualink PDA control system - Upgraded to Jandy Aqualink touch system.
Deck/Retaining wall will be EPHenry Coventry blocks and pavers.

Deck and the wall are being finished up today, looking good! Next week auto cover and hopefully landscaping and then the following week fence. Almost there... continuing Taking pics for everything, Will definitely post up soon.

Here's quckie teaser pick :)
[attachment=0:13uotblc]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372554289.065830.jpg[/attachment:13uotblc]

Sent from my iPad using Tapawhat?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372554289.065830.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372554289.065830.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 118

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.