LifeTime Supporter
Jan 28, 2013
Denver, CO
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Roughly 15K-17K in ground plaster with DE, 2 HP pump - 500 gal or so spa.

The current owner allowed the power to the house to be cut, when I figured it out I immediatly had him turn it back on (a week or so I think). The pool started to alge bloom, my son and I got to it and cleaned all the leaves out and emptied the baskets etc.

He was using a pool service (pucks and all kinds of craziness including an algaecide on a regular basis.) I have ordered my test kit and will get tests ASAP - in the mean time would there be any harm in superchlorinating with bleach ... say 4 gallons of the 8% stuff? I want to head the algae off at the pass.

Going the BBB route as soon as I am the actual owner, thanks in advance for all the help and the great site.

Chris

Jason,
Totally understand that it is probably a waste of time and $$$, that said is there any potential harm ( at least I'm trying SOMETHING).

Thanks!

If it were a vinyl pool I'd hesitate to recommend it but since it's plaster AND you have algae, I don't think it'll hurt anything to use that much. It'll raise the FC about 22 and since we don't know what the CYA is, it's impossible to say if i's too much or not nearly enough, but at least it's something. :)

Dumped 4 gallons in - 2 in the spa (circulates into the pool), 2 in the pool. I set everything on sap mode just to get it stirred up and got some gnarly looking foamy bubble and a BAAAAAD CL smell.

We shall see tomorrow....

Update - Pool looks MUCH MUCH better. For the bonus round my test kit came in today. I've got some things to do this afternoon so we will have numbers late tonight or in the morning.

Cheers!
Chris

By the numbers ...

CYA - 120
Calcium hardness - 1160 (tested twice!!!! ... ?????)
Total Alkalinity - 140
pH - 7.8
Free Chlorine - 4.5 ppm
Combined Chlorine - .5 ppm
Total Chlorine - 5 ppm

Any ideas what would cause a Calcium level like that? Oh where to begin on this beast.

A lot of cal-hypo? Hard fill water? Lots of evaporation? All?

How did you get the CYA number? If you did not do a diluted test (half pool waste and half tap water), it is likely much higher if the level read below the 100 mark.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

New (Old) house and pool

I posted in Just getting started - this is probably a better place for the info I have now:

CYA - 120ish (about ya much under the 100 mark)
Calcium hardness - 1160 (tested twice)
Total Alkalinity - 140
pH - 7.8
Free Chlorine - 4.5 ppm
Combined Chlorine - .5 ppm
Total Chlorine - 5 ppm

This pools has been under the care of a "pool service company" HA for the past 11 years. I'm thinking start with a 50-60% drain and refill. Thoughts?

It will be BBB, going to do liquid Cl pump...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some people seem to fear a full drain (just bringing up the issue), perhaps a half drain/refill will get you where you need to be without as much work (getting that CYA level down is most important). Taking your test sample and mixing the same amount of tap water should give you accurate (or better) results as to exactly how high your levels are. Remember to double the results if you dilute by half.....

Also, I would recommend testing your tap water to see just how high the levels are in it if you haven't. Yes you have a high calcium issue in the pool, probably from the plaster......maybe, maybe not (I will bet is was from all the Crud they put in the pool)....testing tap water should tell you what your "fill" quality will be like. You should really know that. I promise you most of us here have tested our tap water just to find out.....knowledge is power, lol.

The pool service has obviously put this pool out of whack......it will be your job to get it back. I often wonder if pool store people's pools are maintained as badly as their paid customers.

Bob E.

The amount of chemistry I saw lying around was nuts. I've never had calcium scale in my pools before - I was thinking this one was in need of new plaster soon. After spending the last few hours here I think I have a scale issue.

So ... To revise my earlier thought process I'm thinking acid wash. Looks like $550 or so to have the pros come do it. Thoughts?

Need sleep...

More tests tomorrow ... Better cya numbers and tap water numbers to follow.

With CH that high we really need to know what your fill water looks like. When you post the numbers for it we'll have a better idea which direction to take.

If the scale is bad, having it washed may not be a bad idea since you're likely going to have to drain it completely anyway.

Sooooo.... I started actually getting bids - no one wants to come out all are sight unseen.

Watts pool service in houston - $800 - 1000
Pool works Houston - Started at 800. I described the pool gave him the details on the chem and he said $650 based on the description.

... Calls in to Parrot Head and The Pool guy in Tomball.

Other suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.