SWG and VSP - A newbie question for sure

Mar 10, 2013
Phoenix
Hello!

This site is wonderful and I've only had the chance to crack the surface but I can tell I'll be spending a lot of time here. I'm currently buying a house with a pool, it closes on the 20th, and my wife and I have never had or needed to care for a pool. It's a bit daunting but we're up for it as our little 10 month old daughter LOVES being in water.

My question has to do with installing a new SWG and VSP. The pool does not need this as the pump it has is less than a year old and doing fine, per the checkup by an inspector, but we feel the SWG would really help us and we would enjoy the pool more and the variable speed pump instead of the single speed pump would end up saving us money in the long run. The pool doesn't have any features, we would only need variable speed for running the cleaner, and we could do just a dual speed pump but in Arizona right now I can get a $200 rebate on a variable speed pump so figured it might be worth it.

So here are my questions, I know they're a lot and I may have not provided all of the necessary info but I appreciate anyone help on this;
1. Should I switch to a dual speed or variable speed pump or just leave the single pump we have that's working fine?
2. If we should switch what pump recommendations do you have for an 18k pool with no features?
3. The 3 SWG that I've been looking at are; CompuPool CPSC 48, CircuPool RJ30, and Pool Pilot Digital Nano. Any recommendations on these systems or other systems for my size pool?
4. Is there any pump that would work best with one of these SWGs?
5. I stopped in at Leslie's Pool Supply and felt like I was being sold a more expensive unit then was needed, the Hayward SwimPure Plus and the Hayward Ecostar Variable Speed Pump, does anyone have any experience with these or other equipment from Leslie's? The quoted price for both installed was around $2200 not including tax.

I know this was a long post but I greatly appreciate anyone who can provide feedback. Thank you,

Welcome to TFP!

What are you paying for electricity? If you are paying less than about $0.20/kWh there isn't much point in getting a variable speed pump. Also, it isn't generally worth replacing a fairly new pump, as your payback period will be longer than if you needed to replace the pump anyway.

CompuPool and CircuPool are nearly identical units and CompuPool is generally less expensive. Both are well though of low end brands. PoolPilot is a well thought of higher end brand with extra features at a somewhat higher price. The SwimPure is the same as AquaRite, a well thought of mid-range unit, though Leslie's price will be higher than what you would pay elsewhere.

Welcome to TFP.

Let's tackle the questions one at a time.

1) If your electric rates are less than .20¢ per kwh then a 2-speed will be a better investment, BUT since you're being offered a $200 incentive it'll bring the cost closer together. Either a 2-speed or a VS will work for you.
2) For that size pool you will probably be fine with either a 3/4 hp or 1 hp 2-speed. Pentair is now offering a smaller VS pump, The Intelliflo i1, That would be a great size for you if the rebate applies to it.
3) Any of the 3 swcg's you listed would be a good match for your pool.
4) Any of the pumps mentioned will work fine, and most likely work on a fairly low speed.
5) I don't deal with Leslies so I can't comment on they're products or practice.

Thanks so much for getting back to me. The cost per kwh is 13 cents in the summer season and 9 in the winter. Does that mean we would be better off waiting until the current pump goes out? We could purchase the Intelliflo i1 for around $900 and receive $200 off of that so only pay $700 for the unit, my father in law has installed pumps before and is confident in being able to install one for us so we wouldn't need to pay for that, does it make sense to get a vsp now for it to save us money over the next few years? Thanks for the input!

Check the rebate requirements carefully. Some places require a professional install of the pump to qualify for the rebate so that would negate the savings from the rebate.

In your current situation I'd wait till the motor on the existing pump needed repair and then change it out. I'd work on minimizing run time using the current pump right now.

I would be willing to be that to qualify for the rebate "professional" installation is a requirement. Minimize pump time would probably be most economical thing you can to UNTIL the pump goes.

SWG.....what a can of worms. The more automation you want (or fun features some of those manufacturers offer) you pretty much have to have all of their equipment. I am familiar with the Digital Nano, to get all the advanced capabilities it looked like you needed to have Pool Pilot equipment to go with it. You can research that yourself. I have certainly enjoyed the aspects that my SWG has added to my pool experience.

Bob E.

Safetybob said:
I am familiar with the Digital Nano, to get all the advanced capabilities it looked like you needed to have Pool Pilot equipment to go with it.
It is unclear what you might be talking about here. The Pool Pilot Digital Nano is a complete unit with extra features that none of the other brands of SWG have. The only system they sell with additional features is the Total Control system, which most residential pool owners would not want.

It is unclear what you might be talking about here. The Pool Pilot Digital Nano is a complete unit with extra features that none of the other brands of SWG have. The only system they sell with additional features is the Total Control system, which most residential pool owners would not want.

The Nano doesn't have the option of acting as a digital pump timer as the full Pool Pilot Digital has. Other than that and the gallonage capacity of the system there aren't many differences between the two. At the $650.00 price range it is a great value considering it uses the same exact cell, tri-sensor & manifold assembly of the more expensive Pool Pilot units.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.