Bottom of my Pool Pump is Leaking. How do I fix it?

Mar 10, 2013
Does anyone know how to fix my pool pump leak? A few months ago my brother was working on it, and caused it to run dry for a few minutes which burned the seal on the top, I was able to fix it with a new PVC pipe and sealed it, but now for the last few months the bottom part of the pump is slowly leaking water from the pool. How can I fix this? Wateproof tape??

General Setup:
pool1_zps7fc1517f.jpg

Picture of Leak:
pool2_zpsafab0fd9.jpg

Another view:
7ba340ca-6aba-4b4f-b490-1b893a43303b_zps6a6db2d1.jpg

when the seal goes it usually lets water into places that are not supposed to get wet (bearings). If the motor sounds anything louder than a light hum you should replace the bearings as well. Bearings are tougher as you need a bearing puller and etc. You usually end up going to a motor repair shop to get that done. Although I know pool guys that literally buy hundreds of replacement motors and swap them out instead of replacing bearings since there is labor involved. Seals are ceramic and fragile so don't force it into place.

I'm really really tight on money right now, generally how much should I expect to pay to have a pool repair guy service it? Is there any easy temporary fix I can do to stop the leaking until I can afford to get it fixed

Given that the pool pump looks pretty old and I can't do it myself, I dont know how much the cost of labor is to re-seal and change gaskets/bearings, but would it make sense to get a new hayward pump from amazon for $154 shipped and then have someone install it? Shouldnt installing a new pump be pretty fast labor wise?

Often the cost to have someone replace the seal and bearings is significantly less than replacing the pump. I doubt you can match that pump for $154, but if you can, that is a nice find. With that said, if your current setup is in not a 2-speed pump, you may want to consider one if you do decide to buy new.

Can you post details on your current pump (and the 154 dollar one), filter, pool volume and water features for us to look at? If you are looking to buy a new pump we can help select the best fit.

Warehouse Pool Supply quoted about $30 for a gasket and seal install. Suggested that it should be done every year or two lest the water get into bearings.

Unfortunately we are WAY past that time frame....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking back at the pics, you don't even need to cut the pipe. The seal plate bolts on on the outside. A box end wrench set and a flathead screwdriver is all you need.

Seriously...go buy the part and I will walk you through it

I live in an area that isn't serviced by many and they rip people off. How can I find out whieo buy? I would love to do it myself but I'm not handy. So you're saying it onlyrequires loosening the two bolts near the leak to get to the parrt I need to replace?

If you're not handy, it's better to get someone who is to do it for you or at least help you.

You have to remove the wiring from the motor and then remove the 6 bolts from the seal plate (white plate that the motor is bolted to). Once you've done that the unit will come apart at the seam and you can get to the rest of the parts.

Here's a thread on how to do it.

Hey guys I had my buddy try to put on the new seal and orings today, but when he took the puand messed up that he could not remove it, he said they were cctogeter. He said he then called his pool guy who tolm it happens and that its impossible at that point to remove without damaging the pump. My buddy has no agenda as he's not getting paid and advised I get a new pump. My model pump is $450. Any suggestions or anyone ever heard of not being able to remove the old seal?

Sorry it got messed up from my phone. My friend tried to put a new seal on. He said the existing seal after opening the pump that it was badly corroded and clinched together. He spent 1hr working to pop it out he said it was impossible otherwise he'd break the pump. Any suggestions before I have to spend $450 on a new whisperflo pump?

So which piece is stuck. The part in the pump housing or the part of the seal in the impeller?

If it comes to a new pump, I am sure we can find you something that will work for less than $450. In fact, we can probably recommend a smaller 2-speed for less than that, depending on your pool details and need for high flow rates.

I am told its the part of the seal in the impeller. In terms of what I currently have, I have whisperflo 1.5 hp model No WF-26. and my motor is a Century Centurion A.O.Smith. I don't know the information of how many gallons my pool is, but its about 6-7 feet deep max at the deepest part. Here is a picture for reference, its raining like crazy here right now but I can measure the length tomorrow if that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.