Advice on remodel consideration/ additions...Completed!

ColdAirGuy

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2010
California
So I have a few pool contractors coming over to give me some quotes this week and I was wondering what some of you might consider I think about as this is my first pool remodel.
The pool was painted before I bought the house...bummer for me. Pulled the wool over my eyes. Major problems with algae getting into the areas where the paint was chipping.

I've replaced the old Crystal clear 2 and old hayward pump for a Pentair DE 60sf and Variable speed pump. I have no idea what this is going to cost me so maybe those of you in So. Cal. can give me some input.

-White Plaster
-Relocate Light J-box (I might do this)
-Possibly clean and repair tile (couple cracked)
-Keep Coping (maybe stain it)
-Baja shelf in the shallow end for the munchkins
-Replace old skimmer and old copper piping, with 2" PVC
-Pool currently has one skimmer and one return. (Replace return with bigger or add new)
-Possibly repair main drain (Believe it's tied into the skimmer somehow, but found plugged
when I removed drain cover.)
-The big feature I would like is to reduce the depth of the deep end since we no longer have a diving board and none of us can even swim that deep without major pain in the ears. (Possbly have it shallow at both ends with it a little deeper in the middle.)
-Pool deck is really bad, but i'll likely have to leave it due to cost and just replace the decking where the diving board and plumbing are.

I will also pull new GFCI circuits for the pump and the light. They were both sharing the same circuit with no GFCI. Scary.

Any advice or input is appreciated!

htcsense1124111014_zpsfb08efdd.jpg

htcsense1124111015_zps8b7691e3.jpg

20130308_101311_zps0216b952.jpg

20130308_101332_zps41c5f841.jpg

20130308_101345_zpsd8616cc7.jpg

20130308_101359_zps5b9f29bd.jpg

20130308_101437_zps1fe32dd7.jpg

20130308_101513_zps3ce33e42.jpg

20130308_101542_zps0934bfb3.jpg

Re: Advice on remodel consideration/ additions...pics inside

Looks like quite a job! A couple comments: you won't be able to replace skimmers or plumbing or add returns without busting out whatever concrete is over it. I suspect having only one return is part of your algae problem...one return just doesn't circulate the water well enough. Your main drain may have been plugged because of a leak, which won't really be possible to fix, most likely. When you have it replastered, you can just have them cover up the drain, if you want.

Hey thanks for the reply,

I got a quote the other day:

-White Plaster
-Bullnose brick coping
-New Tile
-Baja shelf and fill in the deep end a bit.
-Removal and installation of new paver deck.
-Re-plumb pool: New skimmer and split main drain, add vacuum line in wall and 3 new return lines.
-Relocate pad to corner of yard

Grand total $18,000

Contemplating going "all in" here and just getting it all done at one time. I know If I were to do everything else and leave that nasty decking (to save money) to do later it would bother me everytime I go out there.

What to do, what to do....it's a lot of scratch.

I think the price given to me is fair, and several people I know have used this company but I'm going to get a couple more quotes.

That sounds like a pretty good price to me, especially in California! Hopefully some other members will comment as well.

Consider a pebble finish if you haven't already...the extra lifespan is worth the extra cost.

Pricing sounds fair. Dual main drains is a must. Everything listed is pretty basic operation and will help out the pool tremendously. Anything more is just optional in my opinion. What are you going to fill the deep end in with, and why? If he is doing that so he doesnt not have to cut out the concrete to add new main drains, I would rethink this option. The pool botton needs to be cut out to add new lines for the main drain, then make sure they drill in dowels so the new concrete does not separate from the old and "float" on you.

premierpoolproducts said:
Pricing sounds fair. Dual main drains is a must. Everything listed is pretty basic operation and will help out the pool tremendously. Anything more is just optional in my opinion. What are you going to fill the deep end in with, and why? If he is doing that so he doesnt not have to cut out the concrete to add new main drains, I would rethink this option. The pool botton needs to be cut out to add new lines for the main drain, then make sure they drill in dowels so the new concrete does not separate from the old and "float" on you.

Hey Thanks for the reply,

I want to fill in the deep end to better suit our overall use, it's just way to deep and I have a hard time (ears) fetching toys off the bottom as it is. The Diving board is gone.

The main has what appears to be a huge chunk of permagum plugging it. I suggested doing away with the main drain and he said he would rather repair it and split it into two. As for how he was going to fill in the deep end, he said he would be doweling and using shotcrete at the same time he does the baja shelf.

So demo begins in the morning.
I've decided in the interest of saving some money on this money pit, somewhere, that I would run the new feeder circuit to my new sub panel at the new equipment location.

I didn't realize how much #8 wire is going for!?!?! ouch. Got to do it, since my old wiring consisted of #10 hot, neutral and a ground....Light and pump were both on the same circuit with no GFCI. This whole place is a rats nest as far as the wiring goes, but that's another story.

Anyway, any rec's on a sub panel? Lowe's and HD had ZERO....well they had a 100amp, but I need a 40 or 50a.
Zero automation, intelliflo pump, so no need for a time clock. Will consider purchasing a heater in the future, also will run a circuit off of this for my water fountain on the other side of the yard.

So here are a few pictures of the progress...we are going at a slow pace, which is fine with me (where is my tax return!?!?!) :rant:

We decided to go with a pour in place coping instead of the bullnose brick as we thought it might look better with a paver deck.
We also decided to add more area to the decking and take it all the way to where that addition is, where I will eventually put in a slider or french doors (leads to the kitchen area).

There was an iron gas line by the pool equipment, and I thought we would extend it back to the new equipment area. Opened the valve and it's dead only to dig up the whole like and find it was never tied in...must have been a "future". So now that we are in the future, the builder is going to put in that yellow pex for "future", again.

We were really confused with picking the tile (too many options), but we are happy with the tile now that it's up. Also, you can see in the second to last picture where the new main drain will be coming through the shell since we are filling in the deep end.
We are tentatively going with 5 1/2' depth on the deep end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Excellent choice to go with the poured concrete coping (I'm no fan of bullnose brick). For us, a pool cannot be too deep, so I would never fill a deep end in, but that's an individual choice. We just finished our renovation so your pics of the demo are only too fresh in my mind. Ours looks new and yours will too! Excited for you!

What is the width of the coping? Any pics of the work being done? I.e with forms in place? Do you know the name or make of the profile? Stegmeier?

Thanks
Remigio

Here are some updated pictures of the decking going in. Still lots of small cuts to make around the whole area.
I will ask the PB about the style of coping forms he used. Also, we are still going with the white plaster for now.....my wallet is squeezed right now.

Believe it or not my swimming pool still isn't done. The City I live in has been giving me such a hard time with things. It's like they are pulling things out of their Rear for how they wan't it done.

We finally did shotcrete yesterday to fill in the deep end and baja after a long process of back and forth with the inspectors. It's amazing how stubborn they can be even when there is no data to back up what they are demanding.

So they showed up today unannounced while I was at work and want a crush test done on my shotcrete all of a sudden. I have a bucket of shotcrete sitting in the yard that I now have to find a place to test. (Plaster is already scheduled for tuesday)They also wanted to know why I hadn't yet put up my door alarms or replaced my property fence line (55 year old property fence 4' high which is common to my neighbors yards who also have pools. This isn't even due for correction until I call for a final.

Oh and now my front yard gates that are self closing and open outward already they aren't happy with. They said the latch is too HIGH. DUH NO KIDDING. Isn't that the point?

GRRRR....never pull permits again.

Looking great!

I'm going to write something, please don't take offense, you do know when diving deep underwater to squeeze your nose and then try to blow out your nose to equalize the pressure in your ears, right? That's how people including me dive down to 30-40 feet while snorkeling. I realize I'm late with the comment.

Pool is going to look amazing with pavers and new finish!

harleysilo said:
Looking great!

I'm going to write something, please don't take offense, you do know when diving deep underwater to squeeze your nose and then try to blow out your nose to equalize the pressure in your ears, right? That's how people including me dive down to 30-40 feet while snorkeling. I realize I'm late with the comment.

Pool is going to look amazing with pavers and new finish!

Dang!!!

All of this money and effort....if I had only known. HAHAHA.

Actually I didn't know that, but it's good to know in the future...I guess. We actually really wanted more usable area for parties and stuff.

We are hoping they give us some breathing room and let us actually finish it. This Summer would be nice! :roll:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.