Motor electrical question

Dec 23, 2007
Phoenix AZ
I recently had my Hayward Northstar pump in to repair a link. The tech connected the electrical to spin the shaft and sand it. He then replaced the Shaft Seal Assembly and reassembled everything. When he went to test it he connected the 220 volts to the brown and white wires instead of the 2 connections that are inbetween the 2 wires. He said that would not be a problem but could not get the motor to run on 220 and said his pigtail must be bad.

Now I have pump home and it will not work on 220. It did worked plugged into 110 volts.

Is there a fuse or internal circuit breaker that poped when it was wired incorrectly?

Thanks

I do but think there are any internal fuses. Generally the wiring connections inside are different between the 220 and the 110 setup. I would triple check the 220 wiring compared to the diagram.

Can you post pictures?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

There isn't a fuse inside the motor but there is a thermal limiter switch which has a separate connection for 220v vs 110v. So because the tech hooked it up incorrectly, it is possible to damage that switch. But the windings should be ok since 110v works (both voltages use the same windings). If you have an ohm meter, you can check the winding resistance (power disconnected) when wired for 220v. The resistance should be 1-2 ohms. If it is an open circuit, it could be the thermal limiter switch.

I just checked the voltage and resistance between the different contacts, A, B, L1 and L2. Voltage coming in is at 247 volts

Measuring the resistance, most circuits were open. Only the A to L1 and B to L2 circuits were shorted.

Is the thermal limiter switch easy to get to and check/replace?

He could have possibly damage that portion of the motor. If it has a protection circuit or a circuit that limits the voltage it could have instantly damaged it. The motor does have the ability to wired for either 110 or 220 did you check to see if that might have gotten changed the other thing is it might have a 110/220 switch. If it does check that switch it could have gotten switched by accident.

Please take a pic of the wiring diagram on the pump. Should be two 110v lines and one ground. They should be interchangeable on one video I watch of a hayward pump replacement.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The proper wiring for the motor in 230v mode should be White to B and Brown to A and there should be 1-2 ohms of resistance between terminals L1 and L2. If that is open, then it is likely to be the thermal limiter switch. I have never replaced one myself and doing a quick search, I am not sure you can get one on your own. However, a motor repair shop should be able to repair it if it is damaged. But since the tech caused the problem, he should fix it.

mas985 said:
The proper wiring for the motor in 230v mode should be White to B and Brown to A and there should be 1-2 ohms of resistance between terminals L1 and L2. If that is open, then it is likely to be the thermal limiter switch. I have never replaced one myself and doing a quick search, I am not sure you can get one on your own. However, a motor repair shop should be able to repair it if it is damaged. But since the tech caused the problem, he should fix it.
Mas I agree 100% about having the tech fix it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.