does it matter what is under my pool?

hyperionguy

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2012
Houston, TX
Hi All,

Spring is approaching and it is close to when I need to think about setting up my pool. This will be my 5th year with an Intex pool, and each year has been a different one... varying in size and also graduating from easy set to Ultra Frame plus sand filter and SWG.

Every year I have had minor problems with leveling my yard (which is ghetto as can be) and it has always been about 2 inches off. This year I have replace my entire fence and I will be doing something with the ground and I will make sure that when complete it will be level.

I live in a patio home, which is why I don't have an in-ground pool. So my back yard is really small. One thing I thought about is to have that entire section built as decomposed granite mechanically compacted and completely level. The other thought is to do all pavers set in sand. What do you folks think is the better and more stable solution to have beneath my 14' by 48" round Ultra Frame pool? Or... do you have any better ideas?

Up here in Oklahoma City I can completely relate to your exact situation because I am pretty much in the same situation. I have to have some yard for the dog to do her thing, but I elected to go to my local concrete products plant (Dolese) and get a boat load of pavers (OK, they delieverd them on a semi). To give you an idea I have 4 sixteen inch pavers in a square and have framed them with 4" x 8" pavers. My patio area was just not big enough once we outgrew the "baby" pool for the kids.

I am also into the 14' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame too and the pavered area is big enough for me to have an area to put chairs and even a kiddie picnic table on. Since I am ultra cheap, I did the whole thing myself. It was ALOT of work but has been worth it. I do have the patio on a slight slope for drainage so I do have to put some sand down, then my foam board, then the pool on top of that. For me, this has worked well for my Intex pools for the past three years.

My call is do a nice area in pavers so you can have a table, chairs, whatever of your choice along with pool. As long as it's nice and level, many of your problems will be gone. Take the time to have electricity run to a corner too for the pump, SWG, maybe even some extra lights around the area. Making the area big enough will help to keep the dirt and grass that may be a problem otherwise.....the were starting to be until I did my paver setup.

The more you pave, the less you have to water and mow!!

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.