Wood wall pool

Mar 9, 2013
Hi everyone!
My wife and I are looking at a house that has a 16'x32' standard hopper with a safety ledge. The house is awesome and we absolutely love the area it's in, but weare still not so sure about the pool. I had a guy out to look at it yesterday and it has wooden walls, the coping needs to be replaced and the liner as well. My questions are:

Are wooden walls a MAJOR issue that I should be worried about?
Is coping typically difficult to replace?

I have done a decent amount of research on this site and others, but still need some input from those that have more experience. I'm a pretty solid DIYer, so I'm hoping that these items aren't something that will require bringing in contractors in which most cases will cost quite a bit more money.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Welcome to TFP!

Wood greatly reduces the expected lifetime of the pool structure. Because of that it is essentially never used any more. As long as the wood is still in good condition there aren't any problems. But once the wood starts to rot it's all over, and repairs will tend to cost about the same as getting a new pool.

Replacing coping is straightforward masonry work as long as the surface it rests on is still in good condition.

Thanks, Jason.

I've done quite a bit more research now, and feel like a decent portion of the work can be completed as DIY. I will likely contract out the liner replacement, but the coping rehabilitation and other work seems like it is not too difficult. I'll probably be getting on here and doing more searching through threads regarding filters and whatnot, but this was a good bit of information to start with.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.