Needing a completely new pool filter assembly >

Jan 14, 2013
SW Florida
I have a 9 year old 9,000 gal in-ground pool in my backyard here in Florida.

I have a problem that has gotten worse and worse over the last year ... The problem is the Hayward C1200 cartridge type pool filter.

I just cant get the top section separated from the bottom section anymore. It has a new O-Ring, but my pool guy says that the upper or the lower sections of the housing must be warped. It has gotten so bad that even banging on it with a large rubber mallet won't separate the two sections ... so we can't clean the filter cartridge.

Since I am going to need a new filter, and I don't think I will buy another Hayward unit.

I was recommended a Pentair, as it has a different mechanism for locking the 2 sections of the housing together.

My Question: Do you think a Pentair might be a better alternative to the Hayward?

I might give "Christian" at Pool Suppy World a call and see what he thinks. (I already bought a Zodiac 'Baracuda MX8' pool cleaner from him) ... good guy!

Thank's,
Ron

Nobody else here have problems with a Hayward Star-Clear C900 / C1200 / C1750 style cartridge pool filter?

A02D_129839264774401808sLx3AJOtwA.jpg

You're the first that I remember reporting that particular problem.
My sister has a Pentair cartridge filter and I love the way it's designed. I have no experience with Hayward so I can't comment about it.

You mentioned there's been a new o-ring installed. I'm not familiar with the design of this product but if you do get it apart, I would remove the o-ring completely and trial fit the top section onto the bottom. If it goes together easily and comes back apart easily then the problem has nothing to do with warping, it's more likely the wrong o-ring was installed. It's also a good idea to use some valve grease on large o-rings like this. The grease will make a tight o-ring slip easily like fingers on a watermelon seed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.