P1353ME wiring for Salt Chlorinator

Mar 8, 2013
I bought a AO Smith Centurian two speed motor and a Intermatic P1353ME timer. I want to hook up my
Hayward salt chlorinator to run whenever the motor is running. I can see how to wire it either always on
the high speed side and no low or always on the low speed side and no high but how do I wire it to work
on both speeds?

Tim

Welcome to TFP!

The only way to do that without additional equipment is to use the third channel on the timer and mode 2, and then be very careful to program the time for the aux circuit to only come on when you know the pump is turned on.

It would be safer to use a current switched relay, but that is an extra piece of equipment. The other option is to pick either low or high and only run the SWG during one of them. Generally most of the run time is in low speed so that is the obvious choice.

Thanks for the response. I will probably just wire it to the low speed side. The only time it will be on high is during the first five minutes to get some pressure into the solar collectors or to run the pool vac. I saw on the box there is a mode 7 and it isn't in the instructions. By the diagram on the box, mode 7 has the common going over to circuit 3 line and then the common load from circuit 3 going to the pump. I was wondering about also hooking up the common on the cholorinator and having circuit 3 cut it on and off. It says mode 7. For mode 7 it says that all timing and protection associated with a two speed pump is pre-programmed into this mode. Does it mean that I can't set anything or does pre-programmed mean how I set up the timer? There is nothing about mode 7 in the instructions included in the box but it lists mode 7 on the outside of the box.

I hadn't noticed mode 7 before, a recent addition. Mode 7 will do exactly what you asked for originally, switching the SWG on channel 3. That isn't exactly the way it was designed to be used, but it will work for what you want.

I ended up wiring it to mode 2 and using circuit 3 for the chlorinator. Everything works great. I should show a savings of about $230 per year and thats with running the pump two hours more per day but all hours in low speed.

Tim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.