10 gallons of liquid bleach left over from last year

Jul 24, 2012
Topic split off. Please ask questions in your own topic instead of reusing someone else's existing topic. Thanks JasonLion

Staying with the expiration topic, I have about 10 gallons of liquid bleach left over from last year. I stored them in my basement so they would not freeze. Are they still good to use this spring?

Last season I started off with a few gallons of 10% left from the prior year. This year I will be again using left overs from the prior season. I didn't notice any measurable degradation. I doubt the garage gets much lower than mid 40s in the dead of winter.

Just for future information, doesn't heat truly effect the bleach more than the cold? I have been advised to keep my bleach in a dark and perferably room temperature room/location because heat and sunlight killed the bleach. I did test that out last year and was suprised at how fast bleach looses it's effectiveness when a bottle is left outside next to the pool (because someone forgot it).

Bob E.

Yes, as shown in the table at the bottom of this link, bleach and chlorinating liquid degrade more quickly at higher temperatures so last longer at colder temperatures. They also degrade faster at higher concentrations. So 6% bleach in a cool environment will last quite a long time.

I had 5 big jugs of the 6% that I didn't use in 2010 when I took my pool down due to divorce. I cleaned my new house and did laundry with it. :mrgreen: As a matter of fact, I still have some of it under the kitchen sink! lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.