Electrical question on Pentair booster pump

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
I have a Pentair 3/4 hp booster pump for my Letro/Pentair pressure side vac. I'm going to show some ignorance of wiring here, but I do know that the pump is wired at 230V (not 115), and wires directly to my Fiberstars timer/switch box.
I need to put a switch in between the pump and the Fiberstars box (just a simple on/off switch).
I went to our local big box and got help, but I think I got the wrong switch. If I'm understanding correctly, I have 2 leads and a green (ground) wire. He gave me a switch with two screws, both on the right side of the switch (single pole, right?)...I think I should have gotten a double pole switch (4 screws, two on each side), is that correct?
One lead is red and one is black, I would screw the red from the pump to the bottom screw on one side of the on/off switch, then the red to the Fiberstars box from the top screw on that same side, right? Then repeat with the black on the other side?
Also, for the green ground wire...I screwed the green ground wire that comes into & goes out of the on/off switch to the ground screw that is connected to the body of the metal box that houses of the on/off switch...was that correct, or should I screw those into the ground screw that is on the on/off switch itself?

The fact that you are asking these questions suggests that you should have an electrician wire the switch for you. AC wiring is not something to be working with unless you are reasonably knowledgeable.

Everything should be grounded (the green wire), the box and the switch.

Since both red and black are hot in a 230v circuit, it is safer to have a double pole switch, but a single pole switch will work.

If this is outdoors you should be using waterproof conduit and a waterproof switch box.

Thanks, guys, I talked to an electrician here at work and I'm going with the double-pole, and hooking the ground to the box body and then running the ground from that to the ground screw on the switch itself. He explained it to me and a single pole would leave one wire hot, so I know I need the safest route, as evidenced in my questions. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.