Ready To Install IntelliFlo VF?

vfocus

Mar 8, 2013
Minnesota
New here, I'm just about to do a DIY install of the IntelliFlo VF pump. Looking for feedback on my setup/plan.

I'm replacing a 2hp PacFab Hydroflow and I have 2 concerns (among others). The pentair manual recommends a 10" straight run on the inlet side for 2" pvc and as you can see from my photo I only have about 5" from the T. I don't think this is a dealbreaker though. Thoughts?

The other bigger concern is the outlet side where the pipe is 1.5" into a Mitra cartridge filter. The intelliflo has a 2" out and my plan is to use a reducer to 1.5" just before the filter. How will this effect the flow? (I'm planning on a low flow setting for the VF) Would it be a good Idea to extend a 2" pvc 12" or so, up on the outlet side before the elbow, making a big "U" back to the filter? The pentair manual has no specs for the outlet side. The filter seems limited to 1.5" inlet. If I could change this to 2" it would solve my problems. But I have had no luck finding a 2" version of this (flange?) part.

Thanks for taking a look!

Inlet Side
PumpInletSide_zpsd2afafe8.jpg

Outlet Side 1.5"
PumpOutletSide_zps77ccbd1c.jpg

Pump-Setup-Wide_zpsff68b6cd.jpg

Cartridge filter connection
CartrigeFilterconnection_zps78a8929c.jpg

Why do you want to go with an Intelliflo? Looks like all your plumbing is 1½" so you're not going to get much benefit from the variable speed. Have you considered a 2-speed instead?

As far as installing it, the plan you've laid out should work fine. Looks like that fitting will screw out of the side of the filter. If so you could replace it with a different fitting that will accept 2" pipe.

Wow, thanks for the quick response.
Bama:
Do you have any suggestions on where I could find a 2" flange w/o-ring like the one going into the filter? This would be my first choice for a solution and would give me 2" throughout. I've looked at Mitra Filter parts but I didn't see a 2" flange as an option. Maybe this is a common enough fitting to find somewhere else?
The plumbing is all new 2" except for the 1 1/2" from the pump to the filter. It was put in just before I bought the house in October last year. I went with the VF based on recommendations from the previous pool service guys, expected savings and program-ability. I'm pretty new to having a pool and it seemed everywhere I looked and everyone I talked to, were recommending variable speed. Sometimes the research gets overwhelming. I have the pump already and it could very well be I made the wrong choice. Wouldn't be the first time.

Jason:
Right thanks, that's what I was thinking. The low flow negates the plumbing size.

I wouldn't say you made a wrong choice. I was just asking.

If that fitting screws out of the filter (it appears that it will) then it most likely has standard pipe threads. You can get a threaded to pipe adapter at most home improvement stores and then use a standard union between the pump and the adapter.

That fitting into the filter looks like it steps down from 2" to 1 1/2", or something like that. Does the bushing screw into the inlet port of the filter, and if so, couldn't you just swap it out for a 2" union? Also, on the vacuum (inlet) side of the pump, what do those two 2-way valves control? It might be better to have a 3-way valve there in case you want to automate and/or simplify this. Also, this would prevent closing off all suction to the pump. On a standard pump, the lack of priming could damage it, though the Intelliflo should shut down when it fails to prime.

I've attached the diagram for the filter assembly:
http://chemquip.com/customer/chquin/customerpages/liveimages/P_Mitra_LPD.html
-I'm not affiliated in any way with this company they just had a good picture.

I'm first going to see if I can find a 2" threaded union at the hardware store that will screw on there, per Bama's suggestion. If that doesn't work, it looks like it reduces back to 1½" at the diffuser assembly (Part-24) anyway. Negating any benefit of running 2".

Craig:
The valves are coming from the 2 skimmers. It's a pretty old pool and the plumbing was redone last year before I purchased the house. They eliminated the floor drain and ran new lines to the skimmers. It seems funky, but all the circulation occurs through the skimmers and appears to work fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.