Painting PVC pipe

jblizzle

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I think I need to get around to painting the new PVC pipe on my equipment pad and for my solar install before the summer ... thinking that it protects the pipe from the solar UV.

But, I seem to recall some discussion that the paint does not actually protect the PVC from sun, so I am wondering if it needs to be done or not.

Questions to anyone:
Are the pipes painted just for looks or does the paint actually help protect the PVC from the sun?

Painting the solar PVC black should help with heating (a little) better to go flat or gloss for this? ... even though white would blend better with the roof.

Stick with the Krylon Fusion or just find the cheapest stuff I can (if indeed the paint does not really protect the PVC)?

As far as I know most paint is opaque to UV but it might degrade with UV so it should protect the pipes from UV as long as it does not significantly degrade.

Heat absorption is better with a black flat paint but so is emissivity which means higher heat loss at night. But the surface area of the pipes is so small compared to the pool that it probably will not add much heat.

True, why take the chance. I will likely try to get most of this taken care of this weekend. Time to get the solar fired back up!

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I know this is an old thread, but it is good information. My efforts here are to preserve the information since 2 out of the 3 links provided are non-existent at the present day.

Based on the one website that still works, but who knows for how long, the recommended paint is light-colored acrylic or latex paint that is chemically compatible with PVC/CPVC. Check manufacturer of paint if unsure of compatibility. Do not use oil-based paint products.

When my house was built 2 years ago, I had them builder stub-in utilities (hot/cold, sewer, electric, gas) for a future outdoor kitchen on my back patio. A few days before closing, I failed city inspection because the exposed PVC for my water & sewer lines was not painted "to protect them from UV degradation". So based on my city building inspector, it sounds like a good idea.

But wait...there's more: Nine months later, the same building inspector didn't say peep about all of the exposed plumbing PVC when he gave final approval on my pool....even after I asked him why there is a difference. His reply: "I don't make the rules, I only enforce 'em. The paint doesn't make a difference to PVC anyway." So based on my city building inspector, it sounds like a waste of effort.

You're welcome, in advance, for my extremely helpful response to your question, Jason!

Reactions: M_Smith

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason, I used the "dip your car" type plasti dip/spray and it has a 3 to 10 year UV stable rating.. Mine is going on year 2 and still looks the same :)

http://www.plastidip.com/docs/F-819%20820%20698%20TB%205%20OEM.pdf

I used 2 cans of black and 2 cans of anthracite gray, 1 light coat followed by 3 heavy coats.. Just the black looks very good also.. 1 thing to know, you can see where it rubbed off just above the pump on the union, all of my unions that I have used have done this..

DipYourCar.com
DipYourCar.com

73upvXjh.jpg

Jason, I used the "dip your car" type plasti dip/spray and it has a 3 to 10 year UV stable rating.. Mine is going on year 2 and still looks the same :)

http://www.plastidip.com/docs/F-819 820 698 TB 5 OEM.pdf

I used 2 cans of black and 2 cans of anthracite gray, 1 light coat followed by 3 heavy coats.. Just the black looks very good also.. 1 thing to know, you can see where it rubbed off just above the pump on the union, all of my unions that I have used have done this..

DipYourCar.com
DipYourCar.com

73upvXjh.jpg
Did you paint before assembly ? It's beautiful!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.